Discover the perfect flavor combination with our delicious Mediterranean salad tarts. These vegetarian snacks are not only light and refreshing, but also full of fresh flavors to tantalize your taste buds. These tarts are made from a wonderful mix of crunchy vegetables, spicy feta cheese and fragrant herbs and are a delight for the senses. Every bite offers a delicious crunch and a touch of Mediterranean deliciousness. Enjoy them as a healthy afternoon snack or as an appetizer to impress your guests. Treat yourself to these delicious tarts and experience the taste of the Mediterranean in every bite.
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra
- piece of butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon light muscovado sugar
- 6 medium new potatoes
- 250g ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 200g cherry tomatoes on a stem
- 100g Camembert, sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 6 black olives, not pitted
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 50g rocket leaves, preferably wild
- 100 g green beans, lightly steamed
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- a few basil leaves, roughly torn
Something special for you
The Mediterranean salad tarts are good for this. Halve everything and freeze the remaining dough again.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil with the butter until the butter is melted.
- Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Take it from the stove and let it cool off.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then cut into slices.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7/fan 200°C.
- Divide the dough in half and form two rough rounds.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll them out into two 18cm circles, then place them on a baking tray.
- Spread the onions over both slices of puff pastry so that they are almost covered.
- Save 2 sprigs of vine tomatoes with about 3 or 4 on each stem and cut the rest in half.
- Scatter the cheese slices over the onions, then top with the potato slices, tomatoes and anchovy fillets (if using).
- Top each tart with a bunch of tomato bunches, scatter the olives over the top, and drizzle with a little additional oil.
- Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the pesto with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Mix the rocket and beans with a little oil and lemon juice and season.
- When the tarts are ready, drizzle everything with the pesto mixture and sprinkle the torn basil leaves over them.
- Serve with arugula and green bean salad.
Equipment and tools
- baking tray
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains gluten (from puff pastry), dairy (from Camembert and butter), fish (from anchovy fillets) and sulfites (from muscovado sugar and lemon juice). It may also contain traces of nuts and seeds.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Mediterranean salad tarts, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Please note that the dough may become slightly less crispy after reheating.
The health benefits of Mediterranean salad tarts
The Mediterranean salad tarts are not only a delicious and aromatic meal, but also offer numerous health benefits due to their nutrient-rich ingredients. Packed with fresh vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats, these tarts are not only a treat for the taste buds, but also support a balanced diet.
1. Olive oil
Using olive oil in the recipe provides a dose of healthy fats. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which are known to have positive effects on heart health by reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels.
The thinly sliced onions add flavor and texture to the tarts. Onions are a good source of antioxidants and contain compounds with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. They can also help regulate blood sugar levels.
3. New potatoes
New potatoes are a nutritious addition to the pies. They are a good source of vitamin C and potassium, which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system and promoting proper muscle function.
4. Cherry tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes not only add bright colors to the tarts, but also provide a number of health benefits. They are packed with vitamins A and C, antioxidants that protect the body from free radical damage and support skin health.
The Camembert cheese slices give the tarts a creamy and delicious touch. While Camembert should be consumed in moderation due to its saturated fat content, it is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
6. Anchovy fillets (optional)
For those who like a salty kick, anchovy fillets give the tarts a unique flavor. Anchovies are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on brain health and can help reduce inflammation in the body.
7. Black olives
Black olives give the tarts a special taste and also offer health benefits. Black olives are rich in monounsaturated fats and may help reduce the risk of heart disease and support healthy cholesterol levels.
Using pesto in the recipe provides a savory and herbal flavor. Pesto is typically made from basil leaves, which are an excellent source of vitamin K, an important nutrient for maintaining healthy blood clotting and bone health.
9. Rocket blades
The addition of arugula leaves in the tarts provides a fresh and peppery taste. Arugula leaves are low in calories and high in nutrients, including vitamin K, vitamin C and folic acid. They also contain compounds that may have anti-cancer properties.
10. Green beans
Lightly steamed green beans not only add crunch to the tarts but also add to their nutritional value. Green beans are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A. They are also a good source of plant-based protein.
11. Lemon juice
A squeeze of lemon juice gives the tarts a tangy and refreshing note. Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports the immune system and helps the body absorb iron from plant sources.
12. Basil leaves
The addition of roughly torn basil leaves enhances the overall flavor of the tarts. Basil contains essential oils with antibacterial properties and is also a good source of vitamin K, iron and calcium.
By enjoying Mediterranean salad tarts with their combination of healthy ingredients, you can enjoy a delicious meal while enjoying the benefits of a nutritious and balanced dish. So give them a try and enjoy the taste and health benefits they bring!