Treat yourself to a tempting twist on the classic weekend roast with our delicious Massaman Curry Roast Chicken recipe. This delicious dish is bursting with bold and exotic flavors that will take your palate to a new level of culinary enjoyment. Juicy fried chicken is coated in a heavenly blend of aromatic massaman curry paste and spices, creating a full-flavored masterpiece that is sure to impress your guests. To complement this irresistible creation, serve with a generous portion of fluffy rice, creating a harmonious marriage of textures and flavors that will leave you wanting more.
- whole chicken, approx. 1.8 kg
- two thumb-sized pieces of ginger root
- 1 stick of lemongrass, crushed with a rolling pin
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- 70 g/2½ oz package massaman curry paste (I used Blue Elephant)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 450 g young new potatoes, all larger ones cut in half
- 400 ml can of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, any type
- 200 g green beans, cleaned
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, crushed (optional)
- Basmati rice for serving
Massaman curry paste is mild and therefore perfect for the whole family.Gruyère fondue with dipped potatoes
Heat 5 tablespoons of white wine in a medium-sized pan.
Add 225 g grated Gruyère and 5 tbsp
Double cream. Heat gently until the cheese forms
melts into a smooth sauce. Dip cooked new
Potatoes in the fondue for a delicious appetizer.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan or large casserole dish.
- Roughly chop half of the ginger and add to the chicken cavity with the lemongrass and half of the lime, then tie the legs together with a string.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of curry paste with the oil, rub the chicken with it and then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6, cover the chicken loosely with foil and place it in to roast.
- After 35 minutes, remove the foil from the bird.
- Place the potatoes in the mold and then stir them in any juice.
- Roast for another 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the tin and let it rest, loosely covered.
- Place the tin on the stove, add the remaining curry paste, grate in the remaining ginger, then fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in coconut milk and sugar and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, simmer for another 4 minutes (or until tender), then splash in the fish sauce and remaining juice and squeeze over the remaining lime.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts for the authentic Massaman taste.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the fried potatoes and basmati rice.
Equipment and tools
- rolling pin
- Medium pan
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy (optional if using crushed unsalted peanuts)
Storage and leftovers
Leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
Health Benefits of Massaman Curry Roast Chicken
Massaman Curry Roast Chicken is not only a delicious and flavorful dish but also offers several health benefits. The combination of ingredients in this recipe provides a variety of nutrients that are good for your body.
1. Lean protein
A whole chicken weighing about 1.8kg is the main ingredient for Massaman Curry Roast Chicken. Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It is also low in fat, making it a healthier meat option compared to red meat.
The curry paste used in this recipe contains a blend of aromatic spices such as ginger, lemongrass and lime. These ingredients are rich in antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Antioxidants also play a role in reducing inflammation and boosting your immune system.
The new potatoes, which weigh around 450 g, are a good source of potassium. Potassium is an essential mineral that helps maintain proper heart and muscle function. It also helps regulate blood pressure and fluid balance in the body.
4. Healthy fats
Coconut milk is another important ingredient for massaman curry fried chicken. Although it contains saturated fats, it also provides medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are considered healthy fats. MCTs are easily digested by the body and used as a source of energy.
5. Fiber and vitamins
Weighing about 200g, green beans are full of fiber, which promotes a healthy digestive system and helps in weight control. They are also a good source of vitamins A, C and K, which are important for maintaining healthy skin, boosting the immune system and supporting bone health.
6. Essential minerals
Fish sauce used in small quantities adds a touch of umami flavor to the dish. It is a good source of essential minerals such as iodine and selenium, which are important for thyroid function and antioxidant defense, respectively.
7. Optional nutrient boost
If desired, crushed, unsalted peanuts can be added as a topping for additional flavor and texture. Peanuts are rich in monounsaturated fats, fiber and protein, adding additional nutritional benefits to the dish.
Overall, Massaman Curry Roast Chicken is a healthy, balanced meal that contains various ingredients with their own health benefits. Enjoying this dish will allow you to enjoy its flavors while providing your body with essential nutrients.