On this page you will find the delicious recipe for “Maryland Chicken”, a fried chicken dish with southern spices that will tantalize your taste buds. Please note that the recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. Pair it with delicious buttery sweet potato puree that contains a surprising secret ingredient – banana! The combination of flavors in this dish leaves you wanting more. Try this recipe today and enjoy a unique and delicious dining experience.
- 1 whole chicken, about 1.8kg
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- 1 large banana, unpeeled
- 50g butter
- 100 ml milk
- Creamed corn and bacon (recipe under “goes with”, right)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the chicken in a small roasting pan.
- Mix all the spices with 2 teaspoons of salt in a mortar.
- Grind the oregano finely.
- Rub the spice mixture over the chicken along with a little oil.
- Cover the chicken loosely with foil.
- Place the potatoes in another roasting pan.
- Place both the chicken and potatoes in the oven.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil from the chicken.
- Prick the peel of the banana once with a knife and place it next to the potatoes.
- Roast the chicken, potatoes and banana for another 30 minutes.
- Check that the potatoes are soft and then remove them from the oven along with the banana.
- Let the chicken cook for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the potatoes and bananas, scrape out the flesh and place in a pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt, half the butter and the milk to the pot.
- Puree everything together and season to taste.
- Check if the chicken is cooked by piercing the inside of the thigh and making sure the drippings run clear.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a bowl and top with the remaining butter.
- Carve the chicken at the table and serve with the mashed potatoes.
- Combine it with the creamed corn and bacon recipe for a delicious meal.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
- Sharp knife
- Basting brush
- Meat thermometer
This Maryland chicken recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the chicken in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75°C (165°F) before serving.
Health Benefits of Maryland Chicken
When it comes to healthy and delicious meals, Maryland chicken is the perfect choice. This dish not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. From lean protein to essential vitamins and minerals, here are some reasons why you should include Maryland chicken in your diet.
1. Lean protein
The main ingredient in Maryland chicken is chicken, which is an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for various body functions, including muscle repair and growth, immune function, and hormone production. Getting enough protein can also help you feel fuller for longer and reduce your chances of overeating.
2. Vitamin-rich sweet potatoes
In addition to the chicken, this recipe includes sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a highly nutritious food rich in vitamins A, C and B6. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining healthy vision, promoting immune function and supporting cell growth. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, increases collagen production and strengthens the immune system. Vitamin B6 is important for brain development and function.
3. Antioxidant-rich herbs and spices
The various herbs and spices used in Maryland chicken marinade provide numerous health benefits. Paprika, garlic powder, oregano and mustard powder are all rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
4. The potential health benefits of cayenne
Cayenne pepper, another marinade ingredient, contains a compound called capsaicin, which gives it its spicy flavor. Research suggests that capsaicin may boost metabolism, aid weight loss, and reduce appetite. Additionally, cayenne pepper may have anti-inflammatory properties and relieve pain.
5. Nutrient-rich banana
Although the unpeeled banana is not a main ingredient in the recipe, it adds a unique touch to this dish. Bananas are packed with essential vitamins and minerals including potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6. Potassium is essential for maintaining proper heart function and regulating blood pressure, while vitamin C supports the immune system and collagen production.
By combining all of these healthy and nutrient-dense ingredients, Maryland chicken provides a flavorful and healthy meal. From providing lean protein to providing a range of vitamins and minerals, this dish can be enjoyed guilt-free. So why not try Maryland chicken and enjoy its deliciousness while reaping its significant health benefits?