This Marinated Fig and Mozzarella Salad is a delicious flavor combination. The spice of the marinade perfectly complements the sweetness of the figs, while the creamy mozzarella provides a delicious texture.
Whether you serve it as a main course or an appetizer, this dish is sure to impress. The marinade gives the figs and mozzarella an irresistible flavor and makes for a truly delicious experience. Try this recipe and be surprised by the wonderful harmony of flavors.
- 8 ripe figs, stems cut off
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- a handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 x 150g packs of mozzarella
- 50g bag of wild rocket
Makes it cheesy
Chef Tom Kime says: Pile the marinated figs and mozzarella on a piece of crusty bread and grill until the toast is crispy. Top with arugula and serve as bruschetta.
- Cut each fig lengthwise into four wedges.
- Make a marinade by mixing vinegar, oil and lemon juice with salt and pepper and season to taste.
- Place the fig wedges close together in the center of a large, flat serving platter.
- Sprinkle lemon zest and thyme over the figs.
- Drizzle the marinade over the figs.
- Let the mold stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the mint.
- Drain the mozzarella and cut into slices.
- Mix the mozzarella with half of the mint.
- Season the mozzarella with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spread the mozzarella and mint mixture around the figs.
- Sprinkle the mixture with slightly torn rocket leaves and the remaining mint.
- Drizzle the salad with a little olive oil.
Equipment and tools
You will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (mozzarella)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover Marinated Fig and Mozzarella Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Health Benefits of Marinated Fig and Mozzarella Salad
Marinated Fig and Mozzarella Salad not only offers a delicious flavor combination but also offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients.
In addition to being deliciously sweet, figs also offer a number of health benefits:
- Rich in fiber: Figs are an excellent source of fiber, promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation.
- Rich in antioxidants: Figs are full of antioxidants that help fight oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Abundance of vitamins and minerals: Figs are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and calcium, which support overall health and well-being.
Mozzarella, a soft and creamy cheese, offers a number of health benefits:
- Rich in protein: Mozzarella is a good source of protein that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue and supporting the immune system.
- Source of calcium: Mozzarella is rich in calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
- Vitamin B12: Mozzarella contains vitamin B12, which is crucial for brain function and red blood cell formation.
Balsamic vinegar used as a marinade in this salad offers some health benefits:
- Lower blood sugar levels: Balsamic vinegar can help control blood sugar levels due to its acetic acid content.
- Rich in antioxidants: Balsamic vinegar contains antioxidants that can protect against cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Additional health boosters
This marinated fig and mozzarella salad is further refined with the addition of fresh thyme, mint leaves and wild arugula:
- Thyme: With its powerful antibacterial properties, thyme supports immune function and can help fight respiratory infections.
- Mint leaves: Mint leaves have a digestive effect and can help relieve stomach problems.
- Wild Rocket: Wild arugula is rich in vitamins A and K and contributes to healthy skin, vision and bone health.
This versatile and nutritious salad can also be turned into a delicious bruschetta by piling the marinated figs and mozzarella on crusty toast and topping with arugula leaves. Serve it as a delicious appetizer or light meal to enjoy the health benefits it offers.