Discover the irresistible pleasure of Mary Berry’s exquisite maple syrup cake. This Canadian-inspired delicacy is made to perfection with the rich sweetness of pure maple syrup and a generous addition of crunchy pecans. Its tantalizing layers of moist sponge cake are generously filled with heavenly whipped cream, creating an unforgettable symphony of textures and flavors. Whether it’s an intimate family gathering or a grand celebration, this exceptional cake promises to become the centerpiece of any coffee break. Treat yourself and your loved ones to a piece of pure bliss with Mary Berry’s Maple Syrup Cake.
- 225 g butter, softened
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- grated peel of 1 orange
- 4 eggs
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 50 g pecans, chopped
- 450 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Peel of 1 orange, crushed
Understand it correctly
If your cake cracks at the top, it usually means the surface was too hot or the cake was placed too high on the rack (but this doesn’t apply if you have a convection oven. If your cake is sinking, it could be because of this can be due to a variety of reasons, most commonly because the cake was taken out of the oven too early, the oven door was opened before the cake was set, or because too much baking powder was used.
- Prepare a deep, 20 cm/8 inch diameter round cake tin by lightly greasing it and lining the bottom with non-stick baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to fan 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients (except the pecans) until smooth. An electric mixer is recommended, but you can also beat the dough by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 1-11-2 hours, or until the cake is well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Let the cake cool slightly and then turn it out onto a wire rack. Peel off the covering paper and allow it to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape, then fold in the maple syrup.
- Divide the cake horizontally into three layers.
- Fill the cake layers with the cream mixture, cover and spread evenly over the top and sides using a small spatula.
- Decorate the top of the cake with crushed orange peel.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator.
Equipment and tools
To make this maple syrup cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Measurement scales
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Cake Tin
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Spatula or spatula
This maple syrup cake contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Pecans (nuts)
- cream (milk)
Please be aware of these allergens if you or anyone consuming the cake suffers from allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
After baking and cooling, you can store this maple syrup cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week. If there are any leftovers, they can be wrapped tightly in cling film and frozen for up to 3 months. To enjoy the leftovers, let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Health Benefits of Maple Syrup Cake
Maple syrup cake is not only delicious but also offers some health benefits. Here are some reasons why you can enjoy this treat guilt-free:
1. Natural sweetener
The main sweetener in maple syrup cake is maple syrup itself. Unlike refined sugar, maple syrup is a natural sweetener that undergoes minimal processing. It contains important nutrients including antioxidants and minerals such as manganese and zinc. Maple syrup provides a sweet taste without the harmful effects of processed sugar.
2. Nutrient rich
Maple syrup cake contains several nutrient-dense ingredients. Butter used in cake is a good source of fat-soluble vitamins such as A, E and K2. Pecans, a common topping, are full of healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants and make a nutritious addition to the cake.
3. Moderate calorie dessert
Although maple syrup cake is a dessert, it can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. By combining healthy ingredients, it offers a moderate calorie content. By practicing portion control, you can enjoy a slice of this cake without excessive calorie intake.
4. Vitamin C boost
This cake contains orange peel, which not only enhances the flavor but also adds a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can support immune function, promote collagen synthesis and protect against oxidative stress.
5. Possible Digestive Benefits
Using ginger in this cake brings potential digestive benefits. Ginger has traditionally been used to promote digestion, relieve nausea, and reduce inflammation. Including ginger in your diet through this cake can provide mild digestive calming.
6. Enjoyment in moderation
While enjoying the health benefits of maple syrup cake, it’s important to remember the importance of moderation. Although this cake contains nutrient-dense ingredients, it is still a dessert and should be consumed as part of a balanced diet.
The next time you bake or enjoy a maple syrup cake, you can enjoy its delicious taste while appreciating its potential health benefits.