Spice up your weeknight meal with this healthy and flavorful Mango Chicken with Spiced Pilau recipe. This dish combines juicy pieces of chicken marinated in aromatic spices with a refreshing mango sauce, creating a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. Served with fragrant, seasoned pilau rice, every bite is a flavor explosion. The bright colors and tantalizing aroma will make your taste buds dance with joy. Prepare this delicious dish in under an hour and enjoy a delicious, nutritious meal that will leave you wanting more.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp chunky mango chutney
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200g basmati rice
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
- Lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut a horizontal pocket into each chicken breast, being careful not to cut through to the other side.
- Fill each bag with mango chutney.
- Seal the bags sealed around the chutney with a cocktail skewer.
- In a bowl, mix the curry powder, 2 teaspoons cumin and 3 teaspoons oil.
- Brush the chicken breasts with the curry mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a separate pan.
- Sauté the onions for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the remaining cumin seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Stir in the rice.
- Pour 450 ml of boiling water over it and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, stir and cover.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Stir in coriander.
- Serve the seasoned pilau rice with the mango chicken.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- Large frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Not known
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently heat chicken and pilau in a skillet or microwave until warmed through. It is not recommended to freeze this dish.
Health Benefits of Mango Chicken with Spiced Pilaf
Mango Chicken with Spiced Pilau is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the bold flavors of mango chutney and aromatic spices with tender chicken and fragrant basmati rice. This recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits that make it a healthy choice for your meals. Let’s examine some of the key ingredients and their health benefits in detail.
The main source of protein in this dish, chicken, is lean meat, which provides high-quality protein necessary for muscle building and repair. It is also a great source of essential nutrients, including vitamin B6, which contributes to red blood cell production and supports brain function. Additionally, chicken is relatively low in fat, especially when skinless, making it an excellent choice for anyone looking to control their calorie intake while maintaining essential nutrients.
2. Mango chutney
Mango chutney gives this dish a touch of sweet and tangy flavor but also provides your body with lots of nutrients. Mangoes are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system and helps protect against infections and disease. They are also a good source of fiber, promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation. Additionally, mangoes are full of antioxidants that help fight free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
3. Curry powder and cumin seeds
The spice blend in this recipe, consisting of curry powder and cumin, not only enhances the flavor but also offers impressive health benefits. Curcumin, the active ingredient in curry powder derived from turmeric, has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis, heart disease and certain types of cancer. Cumin seeds, on the other hand, are rich in iron and can aid digestion, improve blood sugar control, and aid weight loss.
4. Basmati rice
Basmati rice is a long-grain rice known for its distinctive flavor and fluffy texture. Compared to other rice varieties, Basmati has a lower glycemic index, meaning it does not cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. This makes it a suitable option for people with diabetes or those who want to control their blood sugar. In addition, basmati rice provides essential carbohydrates for energy and is a good source of fiber, which promotes satiety and aids digestion.
By combining these healthy ingredients in a flavorful dish, Mango Chicken with Spiced Pilau will not only satisfy your cravings but also contribute to your overall well-being. So why not try this recipe and enjoy its delicious taste and health benefits?