“Malted bread with walnut kernels – a delicious and filling gluten-free alternative. This bread has a perfect bread texture, an enticing aroma and a savory crust that adds a delicious crunch to every bite. Expertly cut, it’s an instant favorite in our test kitchen. Packed with wholesome ingredients from malted ingredients and nutty walnuts, this recipe is both nutritious and delicious. Experience the joy of enjoying a fresh slice, whether served plain or toasted, this bread is sure to satisfy your appetite. A must for gluten free enthusiasts and bread lovers alike.”
- 500g strong wholemeal flour (we used mixed malthouse flour from Doves Farm)
- 7 g bag of fast-acting dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- up to 350 ml of warm water
- 100g mixed seeds (we used a mix of flax seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds)
- 50g walnut pieces
- some sunflower oil for greasing
- Make the dough with flour, yeast, salt and water as directed in the “Fits” recipe (see right), adding most of the seeds and all of the walnuts as you knead the dough.
- Let the dough rise in a clean bowl as directed.
- Knead the dough and shape it into a large round.
- Roll the circle in the remaining seeds.
- Lift the bread onto a baking sheet and let it rise until it has doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Bake the bread for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Continue baking for 30 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.
- Allow the bread to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- The bread will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3 days or can be frozen for 1 month.
Malted bread made from walnut kernels
Malted bread made from walnut kernels
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- Box shape
- Wire frame
This malted walnut seed bread contains the following allergens:
- Seeds (linseeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds)
Storage and leftovers
Store the Malted Walnut Seed Bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. It tastes best fresh.
Health Benefits of Malted Walnut Seed Bread
Malted walnut bread is not only a delicious and hearty bread option but also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this bread can be a healthy addition to a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of its main ingredients:
1. Whole wheat flour
Whole wheat flour is made by grinding the entire wheat grain, including the bran, germ, and endosperm. This means that more nutrients and fiber are retained compared to refined white flour. It is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, B vitamins, iron and fiber. Whole grain flour can help improve digestion, regulate blood sugar levels and promote a healthy weight.
2. Fast-acting dry yeast
Fast-acting dry yeast is often used in bread making and helps dough rise. Although yeast does not provide any significant health benefits, it adds flavor and texture to bread and makes it more enjoyable to eat.
Salt is used in moderation in this recipe to enhance the flavor of the bread. However, it is important to note that excessive salt consumption can lead to high blood pressure and other health problems. It is advisable to consume salt in moderation and pay attention to the total amount of sodium.
4. Warm water
Warm water is important to activate the yeast and support the fermentation process of the bread. It plays a crucial role in giving the bread a soft and airy texture. While warm water does not have any particular health benefits in this context, it is always important to stay hydrated for general well-being.
5. Mixed seeds
The mixture of flax seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds gives the malted walnut seed bread both flavor and nutritional value. Seeds are excellent sources of healthy fats, proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They can promote heart health, aid digestion, increase energy levels and provide essential nutrients for overall body functions.
6. Walnut pieces
Walnuts are known for their high content of omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on brain health and reduce inflammation in the body. They also provide a good amount of protein, fiber and essential minerals such as manganese and copper. Incorporating walnut pieces into the loaf provides a rich and nutty flavor in addition to these valuable nutritional benefits.
Overall, Malted Walnut Seed Bread features a combination of whole grains, seeds, and walnuts, making it a nutritious choice for bread lovers. Incorporating this bread into your diet can help you increase your intake of fiber, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Remember to enjoy it as part of a balanced diet for optimal health benefits.