If you’re looking to whip up some spooky treats with your little monsters this Halloween, this terribly fruity recipe is for you.
Get in the spooky spirit with our Maggoty Apples recipe, a deliciously spooky treat that will make anyone feel wonderfully disgusted. With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily recreate these spooky apples, complete with wriggling chewy candy “maggots.” It’s a fun and creative way to add a touch of spooky to your Halloween celebrations. So gather your little witches and goblins and let the kitchen magic unfold! This incredibly wonderful recipe is sure to captivate anyone who dares to indulge.
- 6 apples (we used Braeburn)
- Juice ½ lemon
- 100g white chocolate
- 50g puffed rice
- Jelly worm candies (optional)
Vary the recipe
You can remove the core entirely and let the maggots climb out the top, or leave the stem intact so your guests get a spooky surprise when they cut into it.
- Core the apples, starting at the base and making sure to leave the stem ends intact.
- If necessary, use a dull table knife or melon baller to scoop out any remaining core and seed bits.
- Using a metal skewer, make one or two holes in the sides of the apples.
- Brush the cut parts of the apples with lemon juice and place them on a plate or board.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water to melt.
- Once melted, stir in the puffed rice and then remove from the heat.
- Using a teaspoon, pour the chocolate and puffed rice mixture into the apples.
- Stick a few pieces of chocolate-covered puffed rice into the smaller holes and onto the top of the apples so they look like they’re crawling out.
- Place the apples in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- Place the remaining chocolate puffed rice mixture into a mini muffin tin lined with paper petit four liners.
- Place the mini muffin tin in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to set.
- Once the chocolate has set, remove the paper cases from the mini muffin tin.
- Place the chocolate “maggot balls” around the apples as a spooky decoration.
- Add some wriggling gummy worms to complement the spooky theme.
Equipment and tools
To make Maggoty apples you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Big bowl
- Spoon or melon baller
- Water bath or microwave for melting chocolate
- Baking tray or tray lined with baking paper
Please note that maggot apples may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (white chocolate)
It is important to check the ingredients and ensure they are suitable for any dietary restrictions or allergies you may have.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Maggoty apples, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They are best enjoyed within 2-3 days of preparation.
However, please note that the texture of the puffed rice may change slightly over time.
Health Benefits of Maggot Apples
Although the thought of “maggot apples” doesn’t sound particularly appetizing, these Halloween-inspired treats can actually provide some surprising health benefits. Here’s why treating yourself to maggot apples might not be such a bad idea:
1. Nutrient-rich apples
The main ingredient in maggot apples is of course apples. These juicy fruits are packed with essential nutrients, making them a smart choice for a balanced diet. Apples are rich in fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and can help you feel fuller for longer.
2. Vitamin C boost
Adding a squeeze of lemon juice to the recipe not only improves the flavor, but also provides a good dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C plays an important role in supporting immune function, warding off harmful free radicals, and promoting collagen production for healthy skin.
3. Dark chocolate delight
The white chocolate used in maggot apples adds a touch of sweetness, but it’s the dark chocolate that steals the show when it comes to health benefits. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation, which can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
4. Crispy puffed rice
The addition of puffed rice in this recipe provides a delicious crunch and adds a whole grain component to the mix. Whole grains are known for their high fiber content and have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain digestive disorders.
5. Optional Jelly Worm Candy
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can add some gummy bear candies to your maggot apples for an extra spooky touch. Although these gummy candies aren’t exactly a health food, a small amount as a Halloween treat can just add to the fun without causing significant harm.
So don’t be afraid to try maggot apples! With their combination of nutrient-dense apples, vitamin C-rich lemon juice, antioxidant dark chocolate, fiber-rich puffed rice and optional gummy candy, these Halloween treats can be enjoyed guilt-free while still adding a touch of spooky excitement to your festivities.
Remember to vary the recipe by either removing the core entirely or leaving the stem intact to provide an extra surprise when slicing. Happy Halloween!