Are you planning a party or buffet and want to impress your guests with delicious American-style canapés? Then our mac ‘n’ cheese sliders are just right for you! These delicious treats are made with crispy macaroni cheese squares perfectly sandwiched in mini buns. They are guaranteed to satisfy even the biggest hunger, making them an absolute crowd favorite. So go ahead and add a touch of cheese flavor to your next event. Your guests will thank you!
- 500g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 500 ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100g cream cheese
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300g mozzarella, cut into 36 pieces
- 3 x pack of 12 assorted mini rolls
- 1 pack of watercress
- Barbecue sauce (optional)
Make the macaroni cheese a day ahead. Slice it and bake it when ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions and then drain in a colander.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook very gently for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Add the flour, mix well and then slowly add the milk, a splash at a time, mixing well after each addition until a smooth sauce forms.
- Once all the milk has been added, continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in mustard, cream cheese, cheddar and egg. Season well.
- Place the cooked macaroni in a deep baking dish (ours was 28 x 18 cm) and pour the cheese sauce over it. Make sure the macaroni is well covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes until starting to turn slightly golden.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool completely and then refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Cut the macaroni cheese into 36 blocks.
- Divide between 2 baking sheets, leaving room for the blocks to fit around them.
- Carefully press a piece of mozzarella into the middle of each.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges become crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Place the blocks into the mini rolls with a few sprigs of watercress and a drizzle of BBQ sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and cook Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sliders you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- frying pan
- baking pan
The Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sliders contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, whole milk, cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella)
- Wheat (macaroni, flour, rolls)
Please be aware of these ingredients if you or someone you are cooking for has allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover mac ‘n’ cheese sliders, be sure to store them properly. Follow these guidelines:
- Allow the sliders to cool completely before placing them in the refrigerator.
- Place them in an airtight container or cover with aluminum foil.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Enjoy the delicious sliders as a leftover meal!
Health Benefits of Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sliders
Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sliders may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of healthy foods, but this classic comfort food can actually have some surprising health benefits. While this recipe contains ingredients like butter, cream cheese, and cheddar, there are also some nutrients that can contribute to a balanced diet.
1. Good source of protein
This recipe contains several ingredients that provide a good amount of protein. Macaroni is made from wheat, which contains gluten and protein. In addition, the cheese and milk used in macaroni cheese sauce are also good sources of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that helps repair and build tissue, supports immune function, and promotes healthy hair and nails.
2. Calcium rich
The cheddar cheese and milk used in the macaroni cheese provide a good dose of calcium. Calcium is important for strong bones and teeth and also plays a role in nerve function and muscle contraction. Adding calcium-rich foods like cheese to your diet can help meet your daily calcium needs.
3. Nutrient rich
Although mac ‘n’ cheese sliders may not be the most nutrient-dense food option, they do contain some important vitamins and minerals. Shallots, finely chopped and used in the recipe, are a good source of vitamins A and C, iron and potassium. Watercress, which can be used as a topping, is an antioxidant-rich green leafy vegetable that provides vitamins K, C and A, as well as calcium and iron.
4. Energy boost
The carbohydrates contained in macaroni provide a quick source of energy, making this dish a good option for anyone who needs an energy boost before training or physical activity. The combination of macaroni, rolls, and cheese in this recipe can help provide sustained energy throughout the day.
5. Versatility and portion control
The slider format of this dish allows for better portion control. Instead of eating a large plate of mac ‘n’ cheese, individuals can enjoy smaller, individually portioned sliders. This can help prevent overeating and promote better portion control.
Although mac ‘n’ cheese sliders may not be the healthiest option out there, it’s possible to enjoy them in moderation and appreciate the surprising health benefits they offer. Remember to balance this indulgence with other more nutrient-dense foods to ensure a balanced diet.