This irresistible lollipop cake is sure to be the star of your child’s birthday party! It’s an incredibly fun and incredibly easy to make recipe that you can enjoy with your little ones. Let their imaginations run wild as they help you decorate this delicious cake with their favorite treats. From colorful sprinkles to gummy bears and chocolate chips, the possibilities are endless. This cake is not only a delicious treat but also a memorable activity to share with your children. Get ready for a taste explosion and a rush of joy with every bite!
- 280 g butter, very soft
- 280g golden powdered sugar
- 6 medium eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50 g vanilla pudding powder or cornstarch
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons or oranges
- about 6 tablespoons thick lemon curd, plus some for topping
- ½ x 450g pack of ready-to-use icing
- Jelly beans or smarties
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Grease and line the bottom of a 20 cm diameter round cake tin.
- Place all cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the dough has risen and is springy to the touch.
- Let it cool briefly in the tin, then turn the cake out and let it cool on a wire rack.
- If the cake is a little pointy, cut off the top to level it.
- Halve the cake and put it back together with the lemon curd.
- Spread the top of the cake with a little more lemon curd.
- Roll out the icing and cut into 20cm circles.
- Carefully pour the icing onto the cake, pressing it lightly and smoothing it out with your hands.
- Insert the lollipops into the icing at different heights.
- Place the appropriate number of candles on it.
- Sprinkle some gummy candies or Smarties on top for decoration.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 days.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the lollipop cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cake tins (two 20cm round tins)
- Cooling rack
- knife or cake smoother
- Glaze smoother or spatula
- lollipop stick
- Jelly beans or smarties
The Lollipop Cake contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
- Wheat (self-raising flour)
- Corn (pudding powder)
Please be sure to provide allergen information to anyone consuming the cake, especially if they have dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
Once the lollipop cake is finished, there may be leftovers. Here are some storage guidelines:
- If there are any leftovers, remove the lollipops and other decorations before storing.
- Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If you need to store the cake for a long period of time, place it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Before serving leftover cake, you can freshen it up by brushing the cut surfaces with additional lemon curd.
Remember to enjoy your lollipop cake and don’t forget to share it with your loved ones!
Health Benefits of Lollipop Cakes
While lollipop cake is a sweet treat, it also offers several health benefits thanks to its key ingredients. Let’s explore the nutritional properties that make this delicious cake a guilt-free treat.
When consumed in moderation, butter can provide essential fatty acids, vitamins A, D, E and K, as well as healthy saturated fats. These fats are important for maintaining brain function, supporting cell growth and aiding in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
2. Golden powdered sugar
While it’s important to limit your added sugar intake, a small amount of golden powdered sugar in this recipe can add sweetness without compromising your health. Remember to consume sugary treats in moderation to avoid negative health effects.
Medium eggs are a fantastic source of high quality protein, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. They offer benefits such as supporting muscle growth and repair, promoting brain health, and helping to manage a healthy weight.
4. Self-raising flour
Self-raising flour contains important nutrients including fiber, iron and B vitamins. It provides a healthier alternative to all-purpose flour, potentially aiding digestion and providing energy for the body.
5. Vanilla pudding powder or cornstarch
Pudding powder or cornstarch gives the cake more consistency while providing a minimal amount of calories. It can also act as a thickening agent in the body, aiding in digestion and possibly helping with weight control.
6. Lemon or orange peel
Grated lemon or orange peel gives the lollipop cake a hint of citrus flavor. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which supports the immune system, supports collagen synthesis for healthy skin and acts as an antioxidant in the body.
7. Lemon curd
Thick lemon curd not only improves the taste, but also offers a dose of vitamin C and other antioxidants. However, remember to use it in moderation due to its sugar content.
8. Ready-to-use glaze
Ready-made icing, when consumed in moderation, can be a source of energy and a tempting decoration for the lollipop cake. However, since frosting tends to contain a lot of sugar, it’s important to control portions.
9. Lollipops, candles, jelly beans or smarties
Incorporating lollipops, candles, jelly beans or Smarties into the lollipop cake decoration brings joy, excitement and fun to any celebration. However, it is important to remember that these items are treats and should be consumed in moderation.