The lime ginger drizzle cake is a delicious twist on the classic recipe. With a refreshing squeeze of lime and a touch of warming ginger, this cake offers a modern take on a beloved favorite. The zesty lime cuts through the sweetness and creates a perfect balance of flavors. The delicate crumb is refined with a spicy drizzle that gives it a moist and irresistible texture. Whether you’re a fan of traditional cakes or want to try something new, this lime ginger drizzle cake is sure to impress with its bold and unique flavor combination.
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus some butter for the tin
- 175g powdered sugar
- 4 limes
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 3 scoops ginger, finely chopped
- 2 Table spoons of milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- chopped crystallized ginger for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas. 4. Butter and line the bottom and ends of a 900g loaf tin with a strip of buttered baking paper.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until the mixture is really light, light and airy.
- Zest 3 limes and add to mixture.
- Gradually add the eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Mix flour, baking powder, ground ginger and a pinch of salt.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold the sifted ingredients into the cake mix along with the coconut and chopped ginger stalk.
- Add milk and juice of 2 limes and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared form and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven for 1 hour – 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until golden brown – a skewer inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a wooden skewer, make holes all over the cake.
- Mix the remaining lime juice with the granulated sugar and ginger syrup.
- Slowly spoon the sugar mixture over the warm cake and leave it in the tin until completely cooled.
- To serve, top with the chopped crystallized ginger.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- grater or zester
- Box shape
- Baking paper or greased tray
- Knife or skewer
- Wire frame
- Small pot
- Cooking brush or spoon
- This recipe contains dairy products (unsalted butter and milk).
- It also contains eggs.
- If you suffer from a nut allergy, you should make sure to use dried coconut.
- Stem ginger and crystallized ginger may contain sulfites, which may cause sensitivity in some people.
Storage and leftovers
Once the lime ginger drizzle cake has completely cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. Be sure to place baking paper between the layers to prevent sticking. Alternatively, you can freeze the cake for up to 2-3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer bag to preserve freshness.
To enjoy leftovers, simply slice a desired portion and microwave for a few seconds until slightly heated. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious treat.
Health Benefits of Lime Ginger Drizzle Cake
The combination of lime and ginger in this drizzle cake not only offers a delicious and tangy taste but also offers various health benefits. From boosting your immune system to aiding digestion, the ingredients in this cake can contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of lime and ginger in detail:
Limes are packed with essential nutrients that promote health. Here are some of the health benefits they offer:
- Rich in Vitamin C: Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, which plays a key role in boosting the immune system and protecting against common diseases.
- Antioxidant properties: The antioxidants found in limes help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
- Improved Digestion: Limes contain citric acid, which aids digestion by stimulating the production of digestive enzymes.
- Alkalizing effect: Although limes are an acidic fruit, once metabolized, they have an alkalizing effect on the body and help maintain pH balance.
Ginger is a versatile spice with numerous health benefits. Let’s take a look at how ginger can positively affect your well-being:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Ginger contains compounds with anti-inflammatory effects, which can help reduce inflammation in the body and relieve associated symptoms.
- Relieves Nausea: Ginger has long been used as a natural remedy for nausea and vomiting, making it effective for morning sickness, motion sickness, and recovery from surgery.
- Improved Digestion: Ginger supports digestion by stimulating the production of digestive enzymes, reducing bloating and relieving stomach discomfort.
- Strengthens immune function: The antioxidants in ginger strengthen the immune system and make it easier for your body to fight off infections and illnesses.
Combine lime and ginger in a cake
By incorporating lime and ginger into this delicious drizzle cake, you can enjoy both the health benefits and the delicious taste. The zesty lime adds a refreshing touch, while the warm ginger complements it perfectly. Additionally, this cake contains dried coconut, which is a good source of fiber.
The stem ginger and its syrup used in the recipe further enhance the ginger flavor and add a touch of sweetness. Finally, the chopped crystallized ginger used as a garnish adds a delicious crunch to every bite.
So treat yourself to a slice of this lime ginger drizzle cake, not only for its delicious taste but also for the potential health benefits it brings. Whether it’s an afternoon treat or a special occasion dessert, this cake offers a delicious combination of flavor and wellness benefits.