Introducing our delicious lime and ginger bars! These savory treats are perfect for your afternoon tea cravings. With their tangy and refreshing taste, these bars offer a delicious twist on traditional cheesecake. The combination of lime and ginger creates a harmonious balance of sweet and spicy and leaves your palate wanting more. Treat yourself to a heavenly dessert experience by serving these bars with a generous dollop of cream. Let yourself be enchanted by the delicious taste and perfect texture of our lime and ginger bars. Treat yourself today!
- 85g unsalted butter, melted, plus a little butter for greasing
- 250g ginger biscuits
- 25g plain flour
- 200g golden powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large yolk
- Zest of 2 limes, juice of 4 (you need 100 ml juice)
- Line an 18 x 23 cm roasting tin with foil and lightly grease it.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and place a baking tray in to heat.
- Crush the cookies very finely.
- Mix the crumbs and butter well.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the mold and press it together firmly.
- Slide the pan onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until very dark golden all over.
- In the meantime prepare the filling.
- Mix the flour and sugar together and make a well in the middle.
- Stir in eggs and egg yolks until a smooth mixture forms.
- Mix in the lime zest and juice.
- Pour the filling onto the hot base.
- Place the tin back in the oven and reduce the heat to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until set in the center.
- Cool the bars on a wire rack.
- Cut the bars to the desired size.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- Food processor or zip lock bag and rolling pin
- 8-inch square baking dish
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products: butter
- Gluten: ginger cookies, flour
Please be sure to check ingredient labels for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
These lime ginger bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
If you have leftovers, place the bars in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap before refrigerating. Enjoy cold or bring to room temperature before serving.
The Health Benefits of Lime and Ginger Bars
Lime ginger bars not only offer delicious taste but also come with several health benefits. This article explores the nutritional benefits of the key ingredients used in making these delicious bars. So, let’s dive in!
Limes are known not only for their refreshing taste, but also for their high vitamin C content. Just one lime can provide about 22% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, which plays a key role in strengthening the immune system and protecting against various diseases. Additionally, vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps fight free radicals and supports healthy skin.
In addition, limes are rich in flavonoids such as limonoids, which are thought to have potential cancer-fighting properties. These compounds help inhibit the growth of cancer cells and reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
Additionally, limes contain a good amount of fiber, which aids digestion, prevents constipation, and promotes healthy bowel movements.
Often praised for its unique taste and aroma, ginger also offers numerous health benefits. One of the main components of ginger is gingerol, an active ingredient with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Consuming ginger can help reduce inflammation in the body and relieve symptoms of inflammatory diseases such as osteoarthritis.
In addition, ginger is often used to relieve digestive problems. It can help relieve nausea and vomiting, reduce bloating, and improve overall digestion. Ginger has also been found to have antimicrobial properties that may help fight certain bacterial and fungal infections.
Additionally, ginger has been studied for its potential to lower blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for people with diabetes or those who want to effectively control their blood sugar levels.
3. Golden powdered sugar
While it’s important to consume added sugar in moderation, the golden powdered sugar used in this recipe adds sweetness and texture to the lime and ginger bars. This is a form of unrefined sugar that is minimally processed while retaining some of the natural minerals found in sugarcane.
Eggs are a fantastic source of high-quality protein and essential nutrients. They contain all nine essential amino acids required for optimal health. Protein plays an important role in building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system.
In addition to protein, eggs are rich in vitamins and minerals. They provide vitamin B12, which is important for brain function and red blood cell production. Eggs also contain vitamin D, phosphorus, selenium and choline.
Overall, the combination of lime, ginger, golden powdered sugar and eggs in the lime ginger bars not only makes for a delicious treat, but also offers remarkable health benefits. So treat yourself to these bars without feeling guilty and enjoy the beneficial effects they have on your body!