This lentil and bacon soup recipe is a hearty treat that perfectly combines the earthy flavor of lentils with the bold smokiness of bacon. The tender lentils and crispy bacon bits create a comforting and filling dish that will warm you up on any chilly day.
Please note that this recipe contains pork and is therefore intended for non-Muslims only. We respect dietary restrictions and offer a wide range of alternative recipes to suit all preferences and requirements.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 x 70g packs of pancetta cubes
- 1 carrot (approx. 120 g), finely diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chili, sliced
- 2 bouillon cubes with a little salt
- 250g red lentils, rinsed
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot.
- Add the onion, 1 package of pancetta, and the carrot.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add cumin, turmeric, garlic and chili.
- Cook for another 1 – 2 minutes until the flavors develop.
- Pour in 1.25 liters of boiling water.
- Crumble in the stock cubes and add the lentils.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, fry the remaining bacon cubes in a small frying pan until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- You don’t need to add oil as a lot of the oil will drain out of the pancetta.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of crispy bacon on top.
Equipment and tools
- Soup pot or casserole
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This lentil and bacon soup recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Pancetta cubes – may contain pork
- Stock cubes – may contain gluten and/or soy
Please check individual ingredient packaging labels for specific allergen information or consult a physician before consumption if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to properly store and process your leftover lentil and bacon soup:
- Allow the soup to cool completely before storing.
- Pour the soup into an airtight container or individual meal prep containers.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking.
- The soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To reheat, simply add the desired portion to a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Note: If the soup becomes too thick when reheating, you can add a little water or stock to reach the desired consistency.
Health Benefits of Lentil and Bacon Soup
The combination of lentils and bacon in this delicious soup not only makes for a tasty dish but also offers numerous health benefits. Lentils are a nutritious legume rich in essential vitamins, minerals and fiber, while bacon adds a savory touch that enhances the overall flavor. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious lentil and bacon soup.
1. Rich in protein
Lentils are an excellent source of plant-based protein, making this soup a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Just one cup of cooked lentils contains about 18 grams of protein, which promotes muscle growth and repair and provides the body with sustained energy throughout the day.
2. Rich in fiber
Both lentils and carrots in this soup are high in fiber, which is essential for a healthy digestive system. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements, prevents constipation, and promotes satiety, making it beneficial for those who are watching their weight or want to maintain a healthy digestive system.
3. Packed with essential nutrients
Lentils are a good source of several essential nutrients, including iron, potassium, magnesium and folic acid. Iron is crucial for producing red blood cells and transporting oxygen throughout the body, while potassium and magnesium support heart health and regulate blood pressure. Folic acid, also called vitamin B9, is essential for cell growth and metabolism.
4. Strengthens immunity
Garlic and onions, the main ingredients of this soup, have antibacterial and antiviral properties that can strengthen the immune system. They are also rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from harmful free radicals, reduce the risk of chronic diseases and promote overall well-being.
5. Supports heart health
The inclusion of olive oil, carrots, and lentils in this soup contribute to its heart-healthy properties. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which are known to support heart health by lowering bad cholesterol levels. Carrots contain beta-carotene, an antioxidant that may reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, lentils are an excellent source of potassium, which helps maintain healthy blood pressure.
6. Promotes weight management
Lentil and bacon soup can be a beneficial addition to a weight management plan due to its high fiber and protein content. Foods rich in fiber promote satiety, reduce hunger and prevent overeating. Proteins take longer to digest than carbohydrates, so they will keep you feeling full longer and may be helpful in weight loss or maintaining your goals.
Including this nutrient-rich lentil and bacon soup in your diet can not only tantalize your taste buds but also support your overall health. Enjoy the combination of flavors and reap the benefits of this delicious and nutritious soup!