Treat your senses to the delicious combination of tangy lemons and the subtle floral notes of violets in this exquisite drizzle cake. Full of vibrant flavors, every bite of this all-in-one cake is a heavenly treat for your taste buds. The moist and delicate texture harmonizes perfectly with the zesty lemon spritz, which gives it a refreshing touch. Whether it’s for a special occasion like Mothering Sunday or just to brighten your day, this simple yet delicious cake is sure to impress you and bring a smile to the faces of your loved ones.
- 100 g soft butter
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp milk
- finely grated zest of a large lemon
- Juice of one large lemon (you will need 3 tablespoons)
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- Mimosa balls and crystallized violets to decorate
You can use real edible flowers, for example violets. Simply brush with a little lightly beaten egg white, dust with powdered sugar and let dry on a tray for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4/fan 160°C.
- Grease with butter and line the bottom of a flat, oblong shape (approx. 18 x 28 cm) with baking paper.
- Place all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture falls easily from the spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and set.
- In the meantime, make the glaze: Mix lemon juice and sugar, pour the mixture evenly over the still hot cake and let it cool.
- Cut the cake into 15 squares.
- Top each with a crystallized violet and mimosa ball.
Lemon Violet Drizzle Cake
Lemon Violet Drizzle Cake
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 20cm round cake tin
- Cake tester or skewer
- Cooling rack
- Small bowl
- Pastry brush
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Flour (contains gluten)
Storage and leftovers
To store this Lemon Violet Drizzle Cake, follow these guidelines:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- You can store the cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If desired, you can store the cake in the refrigerator for longer freshness.
- Leftover slices can be individually wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.
The Health Benefits of Lemon Violet Drizzle Cake
When it comes to finding a balance between deliciousness and healthiness, the Lemon & Violet Drizzle Cake is certainly the best choice. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this sweet treat not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at why this cake is a guilt-free treat.
1. Lemon – a vitamin C powerhouse
Lemon is the main ingredient in this delicious cake, and for good reason. This citrus fruit is bursting with vitamin C, which is essential for a strong immune system. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and protects the body from harmful free radicals. Additionally, lemon is known to aid digestion, promote hydration, and contribute to healthy skin.
2. Violets – a natural source of antioxidants
The purple flowers add a touch of elegance to this cake, which not only increases its visual appeal but also provides valuable health benefits. Violets are rich in antioxidants that help fight inflammation and protect the body from oxidative stress. These beautiful flowers also contain vitamins A and C, as well as minerals such as magnesium and potassium.
3. Reduced sugar content
Unlike traditional cakes made with refined sugar, the Lemon & Violet Drizzle Cake uses golden powdered sugar. This type of sugar is less processed and contains some trace elements. While moderation is still key, using golden powdered sugar offers a slightly healthier alternative without compromising the flavor and texture of the cake.
4. Self-raising flour – a good source of fiber
Using self-rising flour in this recipe gives the cake a light and fluffy texture. In addition, it provides a decent amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting satiety, and regulating blood sugar levels.
5. Milk and eggs – meet protein needs
The inclusion of milk and eggs in the Lemon & Violet Drizzle Cake provides an important source of protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth and promoting satiety. Combined with the other nutritious ingredients, these protein-rich components help make this cake a more well-rounded option.
So treat yourself to a slice of Lemon Violet Drizzle Cake knowing that you are not only treating yourself to a delicious dessert, but also nourishing your body with healthy ingredients. Try making your own crystallized violets for an extra touch of elegance and flavor!