Get ready for an irresistible twist on the classic jam cookie! Our Lemon Sorbet Jammy Dodgers recipe takes this popular treat to a new level of deliciousness. We revamped the traditional version by topping two shortbread cookies with tangy lemon curd, resulting in a hint of zesty flavor in every bite. But that’s not all – we added even more excitement by sprinkling sorbet generously over the cookies, giving them a delicious and refreshing touch. These Lemon Sherbet Jammy Dodgers are sure to become your new favorite treat!
- 175g cold, lightly salted butter, diced
- 250g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 100g powdered sugar
- Zest 1 lemon, plus 1-2 teaspoons juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 23g pack of sorbet (I used Dip Dab)
- 75 g lightly salted butter, at room temperature
- 250g powdered sugar
- 100g lemon curd
- In a food processor, combine butter, flour and a pinch of salt until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to the food processor and puree again.
- Add the lemon juice and egg yolk to the food processor and mix until clumps of dough form around the blades.
- Continue mixing with the pulse button until larger balls of dough have formed.
- Pour the mixture onto a work surface and knead it briefly until it forms a smooth ball.
- Cut the dough into 2 equal pieces and pat into flat disks.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Take the dough out of the fridge 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Lightly flour the work surface and rolling pin.
- Unwrap a piece of dough and roll it out to the thickness of a 50p piece.
- Using a 6cm cookie cutter, cut out discs (there should be about 15) and place them on a baking tray.
- Unwrap the remaining dough and roll it out to the same thickness.
- Punch out 15 discs and place on the second baking sheet.
- Using a small round cutter or the end of a piping tip, punch holes in the center of 15 cookies.
- Cover the trays loosely with cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, switching sheets halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the cookies on a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mashing the butter, sugar and half of the lemon curd in a bowl.
- Mix the mixture with an electric hand mixer.
- Place the filling in a piping bag with a 1cm opening and the remaining lemon curd in another piping bag.
- Sprinkle some sorbet over the cookies with a hole in the middle.
- Pipe lemon filling drops in a circle over each entire cookie, leaving space in the center to fill with lemon curd.
- Fill the center with lemon curd and place a sorbet-dusted cookie on top of each.
- Store the lemon sorbet jam dodgers in a cookie jar for three days.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- parchment paper
- rolling pin
- Cookie cutter (any shape you prefer)
- Cooling rack
Please note that this recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
- Gluten (flour)
Storage and leftovers
Once baked, these Lemon Sherbet Jammy Dodgers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. If you prefer a softer cookie, store it with a slice of bread to keep it moist. You can also freeze the unbaked dough or baked cookies for up to 3 months.
Health Benefits of Lemon Sorbet Jammy Dodgers
Health Benefits of Lemon Sorbet Jammy Dodgers
Lemon Sherbet Jammy Dodgers are not only a delicious treat but also offer several health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional value of the main ingredients used in this delicious recipe:
Lemons are full of important vitamins and minerals, making them a fantastic addition to any recipe. In this case, the lemon peel provides a spicy taste and a touch of freshness. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and helps fight colds and infections. They also contain antioxidants that contribute to healthy skin and may have anti-cancer properties.
The butter used in this recipe adds richness and flavor to the Jam Dodgers. Although butter is rich in saturated fat, it also contains vitamins A, E, K and D, which are fat-soluble essential nutrients. These vitamins are necessary for various body functions, including maintaining healthy skin and vision. When consumed in moderation, butter can be part of a balanced diet.
Plain flour is a staple ingredient in baking and gives jam dodgers structure and consistency. It is a good source of carbohydrates, which are the body’s main source of energy. Additionally, whole wheat flour or other whole grain alternatives can be used to increase the fiber content and add more nutrients to the jam cans.
4. Powdered sugar
Powdered sugar, also called powdered sugar, is used to sweeten the jam dodgers and give them a delicious powder texture. However, it is important to consume powdered sugar in moderation as it is high in calories and offers little to no nutritional value.
The sorbet filling in these jam dodgers adds a tangy and bubbly touch. While sorbet is a sugary treat, the small amount in this recipe ensures that it is enjoyed in moderation without significantly compromising overall health.
6. Lemon curd
The lemon curd used as the filling in these jam dodgers contributes the lemony flavor and provides a creamy texture. Lemon curd is made from lemons, sugar, eggs and butter. It is a source of vitamins and minerals found in lemons and gives jam drinkers a taste explosion.
Overall, Lemon Sherbet Jammy Dodgers offer a delicious combination of flavors and textures while containing some beneficial nutrients. Remember to enjoy them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.