Stirring can be strangely comforting, as you’ll find when making this summer seafood risotto. This exquisite dish combines succulent shrimp and hearty peas in a creamy, lemon-flavored risotto. With each stir of the pot, the aromas of zesty citrus and fresh seafood fill the air, transporting you to a sunny seaside vacation. This delicate yet filling recipe is a true celebration of seasonal ingredients. Whether you’re an experienced chef or a novice in the kitchen, this delicious risotto will relax and delight you in equal measure.
- 400g bag of raw prawns, in shell, thawed if frozen
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded, half sliced and half finely chopped
- 1½ l fish broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300g risotto rice (we used Arborio)
- 1 small glass of white wine
- 200g frozen peas
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- Peel shrimp, keeping heads and shells.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot and fry the shrimp shells and heads with the chili slices until they are toasted and have changed color.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Bring the broth to the boil and simmer on a low heat.
- In a separate pan, melt half the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions and sauté gently for 8-10 minutes, until softened but not colored, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the rice into the onions until it is completely coated with the butter, then stir continuously until the rice is glossy and the edges of the grain look translucent.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it has completely evaporated.
- Add the broth a tablespoon at a time, stirring with each addition until absorbed.
- Stir in shrimp and peas.
- Continue adding broth a tablespoon at a time and stirring the rice over low heat for 25-30 minutes until the rice is cooked al dente (with a slightly firm, starchy bite in the center).
- The risotto should be creamy and slightly soupy.
- Dragging a wooden spoon into it should create a trail that lasts a few moments, but no longer.
- Cook until the shrimp changes color.
- Stir in the chopped chili, lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- Let the risotto rest for a few minutes and then serve with the lemon zest.
Equipment and tools
To make this lemony shrimp and pea risotto you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large skillet or skillet
- cutting board
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- grater or zester
- Juicer or reamer
This lemony shrimp and pea risotto contains the following allergens:
- Shellfish (shrimp)
Please note that this recipe may also contain allergens that are not listed. It is important to check the packaging of all ingredients used to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover lemony shrimp and pea risotto, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, be sure to heat the risotto thoroughly until it is piping hot. Do not freeze this recipe as the consistency of the rice may change when thawed.
The Health Benefits of Lemon Shrimp and Pea Risotto
Risotto is a classic Italian dish known for its rich and creamy texture. This version of the lemony shrimp and pea risotto not only satisfies your taste buds, but also impresses with its health benefits. With the combination of shrimp, peas and lemon, this dish provides a range of vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients that promote overall well-being.
Shrimp – a nutritional powerhouse
Shrimp is a low-calorie source of protein that plays an important role in tissue repair, muscle building, and immune system support. They are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health and reducing inflammation in the body. Shrimp contain several important minerals such as selenium, zinc and copper, which contribute to the proper functioning of the body’s enzymes and promote optimal health.
Peas – a superfood in disguise
Often underestimated, peas are a nutritional powerhouse. They are rich in fiber, which promotes digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Peas are also rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as B vitamins, which play an important role in energy production. In addition, peas contain antioxidants that protect the body from cell damage caused by harmful free radicals. Including peas in your diet can contribute to improved overall health and reduced risk of chronic diseases.
Lemon – The spicy boost
The addition of lemon zest and juice not only gives this risotto a refreshing taste but also offers numerous health benefits. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system, boosts collagen, and gives your skin a youthful appearance. Lemon peel contains essential oils that aid digestion, boost metabolism and promote detoxification. Additionally, lemons are known for their alkalizing effects, which help balance the body’s pH and reduce acidity.
Choose the right ingredients
When making this lemony shrimp and pea risotto, it’s important to choose quality ingredients. Opt for wild-caught shrimp rather than farmed shrimp to ensure higher omega-3 content and fewer potential contaminants. Choose organic peas whenever possible to avoid exposure to pesticides, and choose fresh, juicy lemons for the best flavor and maximum nutritional value.
Lemon shrimp and pea risotto not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. The combination of shrimp, peas and lemon provides a variety of vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients that promote overall well-being. By choosing high-quality ingredients, you can enjoy this tasty dish while reaping the nutritional benefits.