We introduce you to our delicious version of the classic lemon cake – the lemon roulade! This delicious dessert is a real treat for your taste buds. The airy, loose striped Swiss roll enchants your senses with the first bite. But what sets this delicious creation apart is the delicious filling of tangy lemon mascarpone. The combination of zesty lemon and creamy mascarpone creates a perfect balance of flavors that will leave you wanting more. Get ready for a delicious culinary adventure with our lemon roulade!
- some oil for greasing
- 4 medium eggs
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- Zest 2 untreated lemons
- yellow and orange artificial food coloring pastes (see tip below)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g can of mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, plus some for dusting
- Juice ½ lemon
- 5 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 disposable piping bags
- 30 x 24 cm Swiss roll cake tin
How to achieve bright colors in cakes
If you want to achieve bright colors, you need to use artificial food coloring pastes or gels. The natural varieties can lose their color when cooked, which will affect the appearance of your sponge cake base.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Grease a mold with a little oil and line the bottom with baking paper.
- Mix eggs, powdered sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture until thick and doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
- The dough should be thick enough that the stripes remain visible on the surface for a few seconds when the beaters are removed.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold in the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Transfer half of the mixture to another bowl.
- Place lemon zest and yellow food coloring in one bowl and vanilla and orange coloring in the other.
- Mix each bowl until just combined. Avoid overmixing to preserve air in the dough.
- Pour each mixture into a piping bag.
- Cut the end of a piping bag about 2cm from the tip.
- Quickly lay the lines along the tub.
- Repeat the process with the other piping bag.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the sponge cake is baking, place a tea towel on the work surface and place a sheet of baking paper on top.
- As soon as the sponge cake is cooked, place it on the baking paper and then turn the whole thing over again.
- This will ensure that the lighter side of the sponge is now on the bottom.
- Trim the edges with a sharp knife to neaten them up.
- With the shorter end facing you, use a sharp knife to score along one edge about 2cm from the end.
- This will help roll up the sponge.
- Insert the scored edge into the sponge and then roll it further away from you.
- As you do this, roll up the parchment and the tea towel with the sponge.
- Allow it to cool completely in this rolled-up state for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, mix mascarpone with powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Once the sponge cake has cooled, unroll it and remove the baking paper.
- Spread mascarpone on the inside of the sponge cake base.
- Add drops of lemon curd to the mascarpone.
- Roll the sponge again.
- Dust the roulade with a little powdered sugar and serve.
- It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Equipment and tools
- Swiss roll cake pan (30 x 24 cm)
- Disposable piping bag
This lemon roulade recipe may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover lemon roulade in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Health Benefits of Lemon Roulade
Lemon roulade is not only a delicious dessert but also offers several health benefits. Here are some reasons why you should consider adding lemon roulade to your diet:
Rich in vitamin C
Lemons are known for their high vitamin C content and the unwaxed lemon peel used in this roulade adds to its nutritional value. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system, fights infections and promotes healthy skin.
This lemon roulade recipe uses golden powdered sugar, which adds sweetness without adding excessive calories. By using a moderate amount of sugar, you can enjoy a delicious dessert without having to worry too much about your calorie intake.
Good source of protein and calcium
The mascarpone cheese used in the filling of this lemon roulade provides a good amount of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for tissue growth and repair, while calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
Naturally gluten free option
If you have a gluten intolerance or follow a gluten-free diet, this lemon roulade recipe is an excellent choice. By using pure flour without added gluten, those with gluten intolerance can still enjoy a delicious dessert.
Offers a hint of citrus flavor
Lemons are widely known for their refreshing and tangy taste. The lemon zest, lemon curd and lemon juice used in this recipe contribute to the lemony taste of the roulade. The savory taste provides a filling and invigorating experience.
Overall, lemon roulade not only pleases the palate but also offers some health benefits. Its vitamin C content, low calorie nature, protein and calcium from mascarpone cheese, gluten-free option and refreshing citrus flavor make it a delicious dessert choice for both indulgence and nutrition.