If you’re a fan of savory pies, you’ll be in for a real treat with our delicious Lemony Roast Chicken Pie. This recipe is a labor of love, but every second spent making it is worth the effort. Imagine this: a perfectly crispy shortcrust pastry shell encased in juicy pieces of fried chicken, coated in a luxuriously creamy sauce with the flavors of caramelized onions and aromatic fennel. The result is a symphony of textures and flavors that will make your taste buds dance with joy. Trust us, this cake is a real eye-catcher that you shouldn’t miss!
- 3 lemons, 2 halved
- 1 large chicken, about 1.85 kg
- 25g softened butter
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large fennel bulb, diced
- 50g flour
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 170 ml pot of cream
- small packet of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 500g pack of whole butter shortcrust pastry
- some flour for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Slide the lemon halves into the chicken cavity – they should all fit if you fiddle with them.
- Place the chicken in a small roasting pan, brush the breasts with butter and season well.
- Roast, breast side up, for 30 minutes.
- Turn over and roast, breast side down, for another 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when you pierce the thigh with a knife.
- 30 minutes before the end, pour all the juice from the can into a jug.
- After the juice and fat have separated, spoon 50 ml of fat from the top into a large, wide pan.
- Add celery, onion and fennel and soften gently for 20 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, pour more juice into the pitcher.
- Reserve an additional 2 tablespoons fat and discard the remaining fat.
- Stir the flour into the vegetables over the heat until absorbed.
- Gradually stir in the broth and gravy from the chicken and simmer to form a sauce.
- Stir in the cream and parsley, remove from the heat and season.
- Tear the chicken from the carcass in large pieces and remove the skin.
- Squeeze the roasted lemons, remove the seeds and stir all the juice and roasted pulp into the sauce with the chicken.
- Taste and, if necessary, season with a little more juice from the last lemon.
- Pour into a large cake pan.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface until it is large enough to cover the cake.
- Brush the edge of the mold with beaten egg and place it on the dough.
- Trim the edges, then pinch and crimp to seal.
- Brush everything with more egg and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Equipment and tools
To make the Lemony Roast Chicken Pie you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan
- Basting brush
- cutting board
- Large pan
- wooden spoon
- rolling pin
- 9 inch cake pan
The Lemony Roast Chicken Pie recipe contains the following allergens:
- chicken broth
- Single cream
- Wheat (in whole butter shortcrust pastry)
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not listed above. It’s important to check the packaging of your ingredients to make sure they meet your nutritional needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover Lemony Roast Chicken Pie, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the cake slices in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Alternatively, you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or place in a freezer-safe container before freezing. To defrost and reheat, remove the cake from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
Always make sure leftovers are piping hot before serving.
The Health Benefits of Lemony Roast Chicken Pie
When it comes to comfort food, there are few dishes that can rival the delicious indulgence of a classic chicken pot pie. And when you add the zesty properties of lemons to the mix, you not only improve the flavor but also bring a number of health benefits. In this article, we explore the numerous benefits of a delicious Lemony Roast Chicken Pie.
1. Rich in Vitamin C
Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, which plays a crucial role in supporting the immune system, promoting collagen synthesis, and protecting the body from oxidative stress. By incorporating lemons into Lemony Roast Chicken Pie, you can increase the effects of this powerful antioxidant that will help you stay healthy and vital.
2. Packed with proteins
Chicken is a lean source of protein, making it an essential part of any balanced diet. A 4-pound chicken used in this recipe ensures that your Lemony Roast Chicken Pie is not only delicious but also full of high-quality protein. Protein is crucial for muscle growth, muscle repair and overall tissue health.
3. Rich in nutrients
The Lemony Roast Chicken Pie contains additional ingredients such as celery, onions, fennel bulb and parsley, which bring a variety of important nutrients to your plate. Celery is rich in vitamins A, C and K, while onions provide important minerals such as potassium and antioxidants. Fennel bulb contains fiber, vitamin C and potassium, while parsley is rich in antioxidants and may support heart health.
4. Balanced creaminess
While the Lemony Roast Chicken Pie is undeniably creamy, the recipe uses one pot of cream, allowing for a balanced and controlled amount of creaminess. Moderate consumption of dairy products can be part of a healthy diet and provides nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D and high-quality fats.
5. Soothing shortcrust pastry
This delicious cake is wrapped in a 500g pack of whole butter shortcrust pastry. While pastries themselves should be enjoyed in moderation, occasionally enjoying a piece of this comforting treat can contribute to a balanced lifestyle that includes both indulgence and nutritional awareness.
Combining the health benefits of lemons, chicken and a range of nutritious ingredients, Lemony Roast Chicken Pie proves that comfort food can also be nourishing for the body. Next time you’re in the mood for a tasty, comforting dish, consider this recipe for a delicious and healthy dining experience.