Treat yourself to the irresistibly flavorful and visually stunning Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes. Not only are these delicious treats visually appealing, they also offer a wealth of savory flavors that will leave you wanting more. The delicate combination of refreshing lemon and the subtle crunch of poppy seeds creates a tantalizing experience for your taste buds. At first glance, you may be hesitant to devour these beautiful creations, but one bite leads to a delicious journey. With their irresistible charm and addictive taste – be careful – they are so addictive that you won’t be able to resist devouring them!
- 225g self-raising flour
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- Zest 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds, roasted
- 3 eggs
- 100g natural yogurt
- 175g butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 225 g butter, softened
- 400g powdered sugar, sifted
- Juice 1 lemon
- a few drops of yellow food coloring
- Icing flowers or yellow sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake or muffin liners.
- Mix flour, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs into the yogurt and then add this mixture to the dry ingredients along with the melted butter.
- Mix everything with a wooden spoon or whisk until the mixture is free of lumps.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened butter until really soft.
- Gradually stir in the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Add enough food coloring to create a pale lemon color and stir well.
- Pour the icing into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle.
- Iron one cupcake at a time, holding the piping bag almost upright and the nozzle about 1/2 inch from the surface of the cake.
- Pipe a spiral of frosting around the edge of the cupcake, then pause to stop the flow before moving the nozzle slightly toward the center.
- Pipe a second, smaller spiral into the center and continue until there are no more gaps.
- Press the nozzle lightly into the icing as you stop squeezing for a clean result.
- Repeat this process to frost all the cupcakes.
- Finally, top the cupcakes with sugar decorations or sprinkle with sprinkles.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Cupcake tin
- Cupcake liners
- Cooling rack
- Piping bag (optional)
- Decoration tips (optional)
This lemon poppy seed cupcake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, yogurt)
Please exercise caution and consider the dietary needs of your guests, especially those with allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
These lemon poppy seed cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. However, for optimal freshness, it is recommended to consume them within 1-2 days. If desired, you can also store them in the refrigerator to extend their shelf life.
Leftover cupcakes can be enjoyed as a sweet treat the next day or frozen for later enjoyment. To freeze, place the cupcakes in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag and store for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw at room temperature or heat gently in the oven or microwave.
Health Benefits of Lemon and Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Lemon poppy seed cupcakes not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also provide several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional benefits of these delicious treats.
One of the main ingredients in lemon poppy seed cupcakes is lemons. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that supports a healthy immune system. Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant, protecting the body from oxidative stress and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
Lemons are low in calories and high in soluble fiber, which can aid digestion and promote satiety. They also contain citric acid, which may help prevent kidney stones by increasing urine volume and pH, reducing the risk of calcium-based stone formation.
In addition, lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties thanks to the presence of compounds such as citric acid and limonoids. These properties make lemons a great ingredient for maintaining oral health and supporting the body’s defenses against harmful pathogens.
Another important ingredient in lemon poppy seed cupcakes is poppy seeds. These tiny black seeds are a good source of fiber, healthy fats and essential minerals like calcium, iron and zinc.
Fiber promotes healthy digestion and can help regulate blood sugar levels. It also contributes to a feeling of satiety and helps with weight control. Poppy seeds’ healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, may support heart health by reducing inflammation and improving cholesterol levels.
Additionally, the abundance of minerals in poppy seeds is crucial for various body functions. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth, while iron is necessary for carrying oxygen in the blood. Zinc supports immune function and wound healing.
Natural yogurt is another ingredient in lemon poppy seed cupcakes. Yogurt is a good source of protein, calcium and probiotics. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while calcium is essential for bone health.
Probiotics, commonly referred to as “good bacteria,” help maintain a healthy gut by balancing the microbial environment. They can improve digestion, improve nutrient absorption and support a strong immune system.
Lemon poppy seed cupcakes offer more than just delicious taste. With the nutritional benefits of lemons, poppy seeds, and yogurt, these cupcakes can provide vitamin C, fiber, healthy fats, various minerals, proteins, and probiotics that contribute to overall health and wellness.