Treat your taste buds to a slice of our irresistible lemon meringue cheesecake. This dessert masterpiece combines the tangy goodness of a lemon meringue pie with the silky smoothness of a creamy citrus cheesecake. Every bite is a heavenly feeling that leaves you wanting more. The zesty lemon filling perfectly balances the richness of the cheesecake, creating a symphony of flavors that will enchant your taste buds. With its delicious texture and delightful citrus notes, our Lemon Meringue Cheesecake is a truly decadent treat that will satisfy even the most discerning dessert lover. Immerse yourself in a piece and let yourself be enchanted!
- Rapeseed oil, for greasing
- 300g pack of ginger nuts, crushed into crumbs
- 100g butter, melted
- 3 x 280g tubs of full fat cream cheese
- 300g golden powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 3 lemons, juice of 1
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk (disregard the white)
- 300 ml sour cream
- 2 x 312g jars of lemon curd (we used Tiptree)
- 1 large egg, plus 3 large egg yolks (disregard the white)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 large egg whites (from above)
- 300g powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp liquid glucose
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas. 3. Grease a 25cm round springform pan or springform pan with a little oil and line the bottom and sides with a double layer of baking paper. Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter together and press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, beat the cream cheese for 1-2 minutes with an electric hand mixer in the largest mixing bowl until creamy. Add sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon zest and juice with a pinch of salt. Finally, stir in the eggs and sour cream until everything is well mixed. Pour the filling into the mold and tap firmly on the work surface a few times to remove any bubbles. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients for the lemon layer. Carefully spoon the mixture over the cheesecake and place in the oven for another 40 minutes, until the mixture is firm around the edges but still a little wobbly in the middle. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in until it is cold, then let it chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the meringue a few hours before serving. Put the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and put the sugar in a small saucepan with 100 ml of water and the liquid glucose. Heat over low-medium heat until the sugar is melted, then increase the heat and let it simmer in the pan using a candy thermometer. When the thermometer reaches 100°C, beat the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff peaks form. Continue cooking the sugar syrup until it reaches the softball stage – 113°C on the thermometer. Remove from the heat and, while the egg whites are being beaten, pour in the syrup in a slow, steady stream – being careful not to touch the whisks. Continue beating until the meringue is stiff. Spread the cheesecake on top with a large spoon, then caramelize the meringue with a blowtorch or bake for about 5 minutes at 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Refrigerate until serving.
Equipment and tools
To make this lemon meringue cheesecake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- 20 cm springform pan
- baking paper
- mixing bowl
- Cooking thermometer
- Piping bag
- Palette knife
Please note that this Lemon Meringue Cheesecake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (cream cheese, sour cream, butter)
- Gluten (ginger nuts, flour)
Storage and leftovers
This lemon meringue cheesecake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If there are any leftovers, they can also be frozen for later consumption. To freeze, wrap individual slices in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe bag or container. The cheesecake can be defrosted in the refrigerator before serving.
Health Benefits of Lemon Meringue Cheesecake
Who doesn’t love a delicious and flavorful lemon meringue cheesecake? Not only is it a delicious dessert, but it also offers some surprising health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients to understand how this dessert can contribute to our well-being.
Lemons are the star of the show in this recipe. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and are known for their immune-boosting properties. They can help reduce the risk of heart disease because they are rich in antioxidants. Lemons also aid digestion, promote hydration and support weight loss. The zest of the lemons used in the recipe adds an extra burst of flavor and contains essential oils with potential health benefits.
The cream cheese used in this recipe is a good source of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth. However, due to its high fat content, it is important to consume cream cheese in moderation.
Eggs are a nutritious addition to this dessert. They are rich in vitamins A, B2, B6, B12 and D as well as minerals such as iron, phosphorus and zinc. Eggs also contain high-quality protein and healthy fats. However, it is worth noting that the recipe requires a large amount of egg yolks, which have higher cholesterol levels compared to egg whites.
Sour cream gives the cheesecake a tangy and creamy consistency. Although it is high in fat, it also contains important vitamins such as vitamins A, D and B12, as well as minerals such as calcium and phosphorus.
The base of the cheesecake is made from ginger nuts. Ginger has long been used for its medicinal properties, such as relieving digestive problems, relieving nausea, and fighting inflammation. It also gives the dessert a unique and slightly spicy taste.
Golden powdered sugar
The recipe includes golden powdered sugar for sweetness. However, it is important to consume sugar in moderation as excessive sugar intake can lead to various health problems including obesity, diabetes and tooth decay.
Not only is lemon curd a delicious addition to cheesecake, but it also offers the benefits of lemons, including their high vitamin C content.
Although liquid glucose is used to stabilize the meringue, it is a high-calorie ingredient and should be consumed in moderation.
By incorporating ingredients like lemons, cream cheese, sour cream, and eggs, this lemon meringue cheesecake offers a delicious flavor combination and potential health benefits. However, it is important to remember that moderation is key when enjoying this sweet treat.