This savory teatime shortbread from BBC Good Food reader Jo Foster has a lovely crumbly texture and a tangy lemon and warming ginger flavour. Baked to perfection, these delicious treats are ideal for treating yourself to a moment of relaxation with a cup of tea. The combination of tangy lemon and aromatic ginger creates a delicious and refreshing taste experience that leaves you wanting more. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply treating yourself, these lemon ginger shortbreads will impress you with their irresistible flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture. Enjoy a bite of bliss with every bite!
- 100g salted butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 50g golden icing sugar, plus a little sugar for dusting
- Zest 1 large lemon
- 8 pieces crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 175g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/Gas 2 and grease a 22cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin.
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until soft.
- Stir in the sugar, then add the lemon zest and ginger.
- Stir in the flour and work it into a soft dough with your hands.
- Pour the dough into the pan and press it into an even, flat layer with your fingers.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until light golden.
- Cut the shortbread into pieces.
- Allow the shortcrust pastry to cool completely in the tin.
- Take the shortbread out of the mold.
- To serve, dust the shortcrust pastry with powdered sugar.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- grater or zester
- Baking tray or baking tray
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
The lemon ginger shortbread recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
- Wheat flour)
Please check your ingredient labels to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
After baking, store the lemon ginger shortbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. To extend their freshness, you can also store them in the refrigerator. They can be frozen for up to three months.
If you have leftovers, you can enjoy them as a treat or use them as a topping for desserts like ice cream or yogurt.
Health Benefits of Lemon Ginger Shortbread
In addition to being delicious, complementary flavors, lemon and ginger also offer numerous health benefits. Combining these two ingredients in a delicious shortbread recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also ensures a healthy treat. Let’s explore the health benefits of lemon and ginger in this delicious lemon ginger shortbread recipe.
1. Strengthens the immune system
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which helps strengthen the immune system. This vitamin is important for fighting off infections and keeping illnesses at bay. By adding lemon zest to shortcrust pastry, you’re adding an extra dose of this immune-boosting vitamin to your diet.
2. Promotes digestion
Both lemons and ginger have digestive properties. Lemons contain citric acid, which stimulates the production of digestive juices and aids the digestion process. Ginger, on the other hand, is known for its ability to relieve indigestion, nausea, and bloating.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
Ginger is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. It contains compounds called gingerols, which have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. Regular consumption of ginger can help reduce the symptoms of inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and promote overall joint health.
4. Mood enhancer
The refreshing scent of lemon has been proven to have a mood-enhancing effect. The citrus scent can help lift your mood, relieve stress, and improve your overall mood. So treating yourself to a lemon-ginger shortbread can not only satisfy your sweet cravings, but also brighten your mood a little.
5. Antioxidant power
Lemons are a rich source of antioxidants like vitamin C and flavonoids, which help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. These antioxidants play a crucial role in maintaining overall health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
In summary, this delicious lemon ginger shortbread will not only tantalize your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From boosting your immune system to providing anti-inflammatory properties, this recipe is a perfect blend of flavor and nutrients.