Treat yourself to a delicious gastronomic experience with our delicious Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken with Charred Broccoli and Sweet Potato Mash. This recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also nourishes your body with a generous serving of vegetables. The juicy fried chicken with spicy lemon and aromatic garlic is truly irresistible. Paired with the roasted broccoli for a delicious crunch and the creamy sweet potato puree, this dish is a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. And the best part? This healthy meal provides a vitamin C boost that boosts your immune system. A perfect choice for a healthy and filling roast lunch!
- 1 small free-range chicken (approx. 1 kg)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- small bunch of thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 small head of broccoli (approx. 200 g), cut into small florets
- 200g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (cook 100g extra if using sticky sweet potato chicken wrap, see “goes well with this”)
- 1 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and place the chicken in a large nonstick roasting tin.
- Halve 1 garlic clove and rub over the chicken.
- Drizzle with oil, rub with your fingers and then fill the cavity with the thyme you just used, 1 lemon half and the garlic.
- Quarter the other lemon half and distribute around the chicken with the other halved garlic clove.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Then remove the foil and pour the hot juice over it.
- Distribute the broccoli around the chicken, toss well in the pan juices and place the dish in the oven for another 20-30 minutes.
- To check whether it is cooked, poke between the leg and the thigh – if the juices run clear, the chicken is done.
- Cover again with foil and set aside while you prepare the sweet potatoes.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pot of boiling water, bring to the boil again, then simmer for 7-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain well, then puree.
- Set aside 100g sweet potato puree if you are using it for sticky sweet potato chicken wrap (see “goes well with this”), then add the cream cheese to the rest and stir well.
- Remove the broccoli from the roasting pan and divide it between 2 plates.
- Place the chicken on a serving plate, remove the lemon and garlic from the dish, and remove as much fat from the juice as possible.
- Pour the remaining juice into a serving jug.
- Carve the chicken and serve about 100g (1-2 slices) per person (save the rest of the chicken for the chicken wrap with sticky sweet potato, see “Pairing”).
- Serve with broccoli and sweet potato puree and drizzle with a squeeze of lemon garlic juice.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains dairy products.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken, Charred Broccoli, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, place in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken with Charred Broccoli and Mashed Sweet Potatoes
When it comes to healthy and nutritious meals, it’s hard to beat a dish of fried chicken. This recipe for Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken with Charred Broccoli and Mashed Sweet Potatoes not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their nutritional benefits:
1. Free range chicken
This recipe calls for a small, free-range chicken, meaning the chicken has had access to the outdoors and a varied diet. Compared to conventionally raised chickens, free-range chickens tend to have a higher content of omega-3 fatty acids. These essential fats can promote heart health, reduce inflammation and support brain function.
Garlic is not only a flavorful ingredient, but also a nutritional powerhouse. It contains a compound called allicin, which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Consuming garlic may help boost your immune system, lower blood pressure, and reduce your risk of certain cancers.
3. Canola oil
Using canola oil in this recipe adds healthy fats to the dish. Canola oil is rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which may help improve heart health by lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. It is also a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage.
Not only is thyme a fragrant herb, it is also full of beneficial plant compounds. It contains vitamins C and A, which are essential for immune function and eye health, respectively. Thyme also has antimicrobial properties and can help with respiratory diseases such as coughs and bronchitis.
Adding lemon to this roast chicken brings a touch of citrus flavor and numerous health benefits. Lemons are an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that supports immune function, aids collagen production and improves iron absorption. Additionally, studies suggest that lemon compounds may have anti-cancer properties.
The small broccoli florets in this recipe provide a generous dose of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Broccoli is known for its high content of vitamin K and vitamin C, which are crucial for bone health and immune function, respectively. It is also rich in antioxidants, which help protect against chronic diseases and aid digestion.
7. Sweet potatoes
The mashed sweet potatoes in this dish add delicious sweetness and lots of nutritional benefits. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, which is crucial for maintaining healthy skin and good vision. They are also rich in fiber and antioxidants, promoting gut health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
8. Low-fat cream cheese
Although the recipe contains a small amount of low-fat cream cheese, it still provides a modest boost of calcium and protein. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth, while protein is needed for various body functions, including muscle repair and hormone synthesis.
So when you treat yourself to this delicious Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken with Charred Broccoli and Mashed Sweet Potatoes, you can not only satisfy your cravings but also treat your body to a range of essential nutrients and health benefits.