Kids can have fun helping make this delicious Lemon Curd Blueberry Cake that is perfect for the spring season. Enjoy it as a delicious dessert by adding an extra splash of lemon curd and a spoonful of creamy yogurt, or pair it with a soothing cup of tea. Its simplicity combined with the hint of juicy blueberries make it a treat that everyone will love. Let your little ones help prepare this delicious cake and enjoy the joy of baking together!
- 175g softened butter, plus some butter for greasing
- 500 ml cup Greek yogurt (you will need 100 ml/3½ fl oz for the cake, the rest for serving)
- 300 g glass of good lemon curd (you need 2 tbsp for the cake, the rest for serving)
- 3 eggs
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon, add the zest to serve if desired
- 200g self-raising flour
- 175g golden powdered sugar
- 200 g punnet of blueberries (85 g/3 oz are needed for the cake, the rest for serving)
- 140g powdered sugar
- edible flowers, such as purple or yellow primroses, for serving (optional)
The preparation method for lemon curd and blueberry cake is as follows:
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
2. Grease a 2 pound loaf pan and line it with a long strip of parchment paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix 100 g yogurt, 2 tablespoons lemon curd, soft butter, eggs, lemon zest, flour and powdered sugar.
4. Using an electric whisk, quickly mix the ingredients until the dough just comes together.
5. Pour half of the dough into the prepared pan.
6. Weigh 85g blueberries from the basket and sprinkle half of them into the can.
7. Scrape the remaining batter over the blueberries in the pan.
8. Sprinkle the other half of the 85g berries on top.
9. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let the cake cool in the tin.
11. Carefully lift the cooled cake onto a serving plate.
12. To make the glaze, sift the powdered sugar into a bowl and stir in enough lemon juice to create a thick, smooth glaze.
13. Spread the icing on top of the cake.
14. Optional: Decorate the top of the cake with lemon peel and edible flowers.
15. Serve the lemon curd and blueberry cake in slices.
16. Offer additional lemon curd, Greek yogurt and blueberries as a side dish.
Equipment and tools
To make this lemon curd blueberry cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Box shape
- Baking paper or parchment
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Cake tester or toothpick
- Cooling rack
- Small bowl or jug
This lemon curd blueberry cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, Greek yogurt)
- Gluten (self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or need to save this lemon curd blueberry cake, follow these guidelines:
- Allow cake to cool completely before storing.
- Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container to preserve freshness.
- You can store the cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- If desired, you can refrigerate the cake for longer storage, up to 1 week.
- If the cake is chilled, allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
- For best flavor and texture, use the cake within a few days.
Health Benefits of Lemon Curd and Blueberry Pie
The combination of lemon curd and blueberries in this loaf cake not only provides a delicious taste but also provides several health benefits. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value and benefits of the key ingredients:
Lemons are rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that supports a healthy immune system. They also contain flavonoids, which have antioxidant properties and may protect against chronic diseases. The lemon zest used in this recipe adds extra flavor and a hint of citrus aroma.
Using Greek yogurt in this cake adds moisture and a tangy flavor. Greek yogurt is a rich source of protein, calcium and probiotics that promote gut health and digestion. It also contains less lactose compared to regular yogurt, making it suitable for those with lactose intolerance.
Blueberries are considered a superfood due to their high content of antioxidants such as anthocyanins. These antioxidants help fight oxidative stress and inflammation in the body and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers. Blueberries are also a good source of vitamins C and K and fiber.
Self-raising flour and eggs
The combination of self-rising flour and eggs provides the structure and texture of the cake. They are also a source of essential nutrients such as protein, iron and B vitamins.
Golden icing sugar and icing sugar
While it’s important to watch your sugar intake, the small amount of golden powdered sugar and powdered sugar used in this recipe adds sweetness to the cake without outweighing its health benefits. Moderation is key.
The optional addition of edible flowers such as purple or yellow primroses not only enhances the look of the cake, but can also provide a touch of additional nutrients and antioxidants.
So enjoy a slice of this delicious Lemon Curd Blueberry Cake knowing that it will not only satisfy your taste buds but also pack some nutritional value!