This spin-on cottage pie is a great way to use up leftover meat and potatoes. Made from tender and flavorful lamb, it is the ultimate comfort meal. The juicy pieces of meat are paired with fluffy mashed potatoes, creating a delicious combination of textures. With its rich and savory flavors, this cake is sure to tantalize your taste buds. It’s a simple but delicious dish that will leave you wanting more. Take advantage of the convenience and enjoy a delicious meal with this delicious Leftover Lamb and Potato Pie!
- leftover lamb, about 200-300g
- 100g leftover sauce, if you have it, or a splash of lamb stock
- leftover potatoes, about 250 g
- 50g cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs, with mixed herbs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Remove any leftover lamb from the bone, chop roughly and place in an ovenproof dish or two individual cake tins.
- Pour some sauce over it, or if there is none left, just some broth to moisten.
- Scatter the remaining potatoes over the lamb.
- Sprinkle with cheese and any remaining herb crumbs.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the surface is golden brown and bubbles appear around the edges.
- If you have leftover greens, give them a quick stir-fry to reheat them.
- Serve the cake with the warmed vegetables.
Equipment and tools
To make this leftover lamb and potato pie you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Baking dish or cake pan
- Fork or masher to mash the potatoes
- Baking tray or tray
This leftover lamb and potato pie recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Lamb (if not suitable for vegetarian or vegan diets)
- Cheese (unless suitable for a lactose-free or vegan diet)
- Breadcrumbs (if not suitable for gluten-free diet)
Please check the labels of the ingredients used in this recipe to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this lamb and potato pie, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the cake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
If you want to freeze the leftovers, make sure the cake is completely cool before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To defrost and reheat, place the cake in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the reheating instructions above.
Health Benefits of Leftover Lamb and Potato Pie
Leftover lamb and potato pie is not only a delicious and hearty dish, but it also offers several health benefits. With this delicious cake you can reuse the leftover ingredients from a previous meal to reduce food waste and make the most of your resources. Let’s delve deeper into the nutritional benefits of this delicious dish:
1. Rich in protein
Leftover lamb meat is an excellent source of protein, essential for the growth and repair of cells in our body. With about 200-300 grams of leftover lamb in this cake, you can enjoy a hearty dose of this macronutrient. Protein also helps maintain a healthy immune system, keeps you feeling full, and helps control appetite.
2. Essential vitamins and minerals
Lamb is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that are crucial to our overall well-being. It is a rich source of B vitamins, including vitamin B12, which is essential for producing red blood cells and maintaining a healthy nervous system. In addition, lamb meat contains minerals such as iron, zinc and selenium, which play important roles in various body functions.
3. Fiber from potatoes
The leftover potatoes in this cake provide a good amount of fiber. Fiber is crucial for maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol, and promotes satiety, which can contribute to better weight control.
4. Calcium and protein from cheese
The grated cheese sprinkled over the cake not only adds delicious flavor but also adds to the nutritional value of the dish. Cheese is a good source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. In addition, it provides concentrated amounts of protein, helping with muscle repair and growth.
5. Herbs and breadcrumbs
The two tablespoons of breadcrumbs with mixed herbs give the cake a wonderfully crunchy texture. Herbs not only enhance the flavor of the dish but also bring various health benefits. They may have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making them a valuable addition to your diet.
So next time you have leftover lamb, potatoes and other ingredients, don’t hesitate to make a delicious leftover lamb and potato cake. This healthy dish not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits to keep you nourished and satisfied.