Treat yourself to the delicious flavors of our Leek & Caerphilly Streusel Tart, perfect for a tasty lunchtime treat. Made with either Caerphilly or Wensleydale cheese, this delicious tart offers a creamy and tangy feel that melts in the mouth. Topped with a nutty streusel, it adds tantalizing texture and depth to every bite. Plus, you can easily prepare this savory masterpiece in advance, making it an ideal choice for busy days or special occasions. Treat yourself to the luxury of a tasty and stress-free lunch with this deliciously filling tart!
- 500g pack of whole butter shortcrust pastry
- 50g butter
- 500 g leeks (approx. 2), cleaned and sliced
- 3 eggs
- 75 ml cream
- 75 ml milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50g Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- 50g Caerphilly cheese, crumbled
- 85g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Roll out the dough and line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Prick the base with a fork and line it with baking paper and baking beans.
- Blind bake for 12 minutes, then remove the beans and parchment.
- Place in the oven for another 5 minutes until the mixture is light golden.
- Reduce oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the leek when it foams, cover and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes until soft.
- Let cool down.
- Mix eggs, cream, milk, mustard, Caerphilly and some spices.
- Cover the bottom of the pastry shell evenly with the leeks and then pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping.
- Take the tart out of the oven and sprinkle the topping evenly over it.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.
Equipment and tools
To make the Leek & Caerphilly Streusel Cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- 9-inch tart pan
- Baking beans or cake weights
- frying pan
- Whisk or fork
- baking tray
This Leek and Caerphilly Crumble Cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, cream, milk, Caerphilly cheese)
- Gluten (shortcrust pastry, breadcrumbs)
- Nuts (hazelnuts)
Please ensure you are aware of these allergens and take necessary precautions if you or your guests suffer from food allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
Once baked, you can store leftover Leek & Caerphilly Streusel Cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the tart in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
If there are any individual slices left, you can also freeze them. Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in a freezer-safe bag or container. The frozen cake slices can be reheated directly from frozen in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Before serving leftovers, please ensure they are properly heated to an internal temperature of 75°C (165°F) to ensure food safety.
Health Benefits of Leek and Caerphilly Crumble Cake
When it comes to enjoying delicious meals, it is always beneficial to know that they also offer some health benefits. The Leek & Caerphilly Crumble Tart not only satisfies your taste buds but also contains a range of nutrients. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dish.
1. Leeks for a strong immune system
Leeks, the main ingredient in this pie, are a powerhouse of nutrients. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, which plays an important role in strengthening our immune system. Eating vitamin C-rich foods like leeks can help protect our bodies from infections, colds, and other illnesses.
2. Caerphilly cheese for strong bones
Caerphilly cheese gives the cake a wonderfully creamy consistency, but also offers some health benefits. This cheese is a good source of calcium, which is crucial for maintaining strong and healthy bones. Including calcium-rich foods like Caerphilly cheese in your diet can help prevent diseases like osteoporosis and promote overall bone health.
3. Nutritious shortcrust pastry
The whole butter shortcrust pastry used in this recipe forms a delicious base for the cake. It offers a combination of carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats. Whole grains can also provide fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, the crust helps to add structure to the pie and enhance its overall flavor.
4. Eggs for essential nutrients
Eggs are a great addition to any recipe and play a crucial role in the Leek & Caerphilly Crumble Tart. They are rich in proteins and contain essential amino acids that our body needs for various functions. Eggs also provide important vitamins such as vitamin B12 and vitamin D, which are involved in maintaining a healthy nervous and immune system.
5. Hazelnuts for heart health
Hazelnuts not only add a delicious crunch to the streusel topping, but also have a positive effect on heart health. These nuts are a fantastic source of monounsaturated fats, which can help lower bad cholesterol and promote heart health. In addition, they contain vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects our cells from damage.
6. Parsley for antioxidant power
The pinch of fresh parsley not only gives this cake a special taste, but also has antioxidant properties. Parsley contains vitamins A, C and K as well as flavonoids and other antioxidants. These compounds help protect against oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The Leek & Caerphilly Crumble Tart is truly a dish that combines great taste with multiple health benefits. By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious meal that nourishes both your body and your taste buds.