Introducing our delicious Layered Hummus and Grilled Vegetable Salad, a vibrant and nutritious dish that is guaranteed to satisfy your craving for a refreshing meal.
This healthy salad consists of a delicious hummus base complemented by the tantalizing flavors of sumac spices. Our carefully grilled zucchini and eggplant give this delicacy a wonderfully smoky note.
Perfect for anyone looking for a light but filling option: our layered hummus and grilled vegetable salad is not only bursting with flavor, but is also packed with essential nutrients. Indulge in this vibrant mix of textures and colors and treat your taste buds to a delicious culinary experience.
- 3 red peppers, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 tbsp hummus
- Juice 1 lemon
- small clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
- Ciabatta, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Rub the peppers with a little oil and roast for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until soft and slightly charred.
- Place the roasted peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large grill pan until hot (if available, use two pans for faster cooking).
- Drizzle the zucchini and eggplant with oil, then grill for a few minutes on each side until charred streaks appear.
- Peel the roasted peppers and remove the seeds. Tear them into thick strips.
- Spread the hummus on a serving plate.
- Mix lemon juice and garlic.
- Mix the grilled vegetables with the lemon juice-garlic mixture and half of the sumac.
- Arrange the dressed vegetables over the hummus on the serving plate.
- Top the salad with rocket leaves.
- Sprinkle the remaining sumac over the salad.
- Serve the layered hummus and grilled vegetable salad with ciabatta.
Equipment and tools
- grill pan
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- A garlic press
- Hand juicer
- Large serving platter
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Sesame (in humus)
- Gluten (in ciabatta)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover layered hummus and grilled vegetable salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Health Benefits of Layered Hummus and Grilled Vegetable Salad
A nutritious and balanced diet is important for maintaining health. Layered Hummus and Grilled Vegetable Salad is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and what benefits they offer:
1. Red peppers
Three red peppers, halved and grilled, are a colorful addition to this salad. Red peppers are rich in vitamins A, C and E as well as antioxidants such as carotenoids. These nutrients support a healthy immune system, promote eye health, and protect cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
2. Olive oil
Three tablespoons of olive oil are used to grill the vegetables. Olive oil is a heart-healthy fat that contains monounsaturated fats that may help reduce the risk of heart disease. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and may contribute to improved brain health.
Thinly sliced lengthways, zucchini add a delicious crunch to the salad. Zucchini is low in calories and high in fiber, making it great for weight control and promoting healthy digestion. They also contain vitamins A and C, potassium and manganese.
Thinly sliced lengthwise and grilled, the eggplant gives this salad a unique flavor and texture. Eggplants are a good source of fiber and contain antioxidants that help protect against cell damage.
Layered with vegetables, 8 tablespoons of hummus provide a creamy and protein-rich note. Houmous is made from chickpeas, which are a great source of plant-based protein. In addition, chickpeas are rich in fiber, folic acid and several minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc.
6. Lemon juice
The juice of a lemon is used for the salad dressing. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can boost the immune system, aid digestion and promote healthy skin.
A small crushed clove of garlic adds delicious flavor. Garlic is widely known for its potential health benefits, including the ability to boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and improve heart health.
A teaspoon of sumac, a spice made from dried berries, provides a spicy and slightly fruity taste. Sumac is known for its antioxidant properties and can have anti-inflammatory effects on the body.
Two large handfuls of arugula, also known as arugula, add a peppery note to the dish. Arugula is rich in vitamins A and K as well as folic acid and calcium. It can also help with detoxification and contribute to bone health.
To complete the meal, serve the salad with ciabatta bread. Although ciabatta bread isn’t particularly known for its nutritional benefits, it adds a satisfying texture to the dish.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Layered Hummus and Grilled Vegetable Salad provides a range of health benefits including immune support, improved heart health, digestive health and antioxidant protection. Incorporating this salad into your diet will not only provide you with a delicious meal, but will also contribute to your overall well-being.