The tantalizing Lamb and Cranberry Tagine recipe features a delicious blend of juicy, perfectly cooked lamb complemented by the vibrant flavors of cranberries. Slowly cooked with aromatic spices and a touch of sweetness, this Moroccan-inspired dish is a real treat. The tender flesh melts in your mouth, while the tartness of the cranberries creates a delicious explosion of flavor. Served with fluffy couscous or warm bread, this tagine is a heartwarming and satisfying dish that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Perfect for intimate dinners and special occasions, this recipe is sure to impress your guests.
- 1½ kg lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and then diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, cut into half moons
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 200g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 50g peeled pistachios, roasted and roughly chopped, for serving
- Natural yogurt, a handful of mint leaves and couscous to serve
- At least 3 hours beforehand (or preferably a day), mix the lamb with half of the cumin, coriander, sweet and hot paprika in a large bowl.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large ovenproof baking dish over high heat and season the seasoned lamb well.
- Fry in batches until completely brown, then set aside.
- Add more oil as needed and give the meat a rich color – this will enhance the flavor of the tagine.
- Once the lamb is browned, pour the remaining oil into the bowl, reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic and remaining ground spices.
- Cook for 5 minutes until softened, then stir in the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods.
- Return the lamb to the bowl along with the tomatoes, half a can of water and the honey.
- Bring to a boil, season, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Take the tagine out of the oven, stir well and add the cranberries.
- Place in the oven with the lid closed for another 15 minutes until the lamb is completely tender.
- Taste the tagine for seasoning and remove the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods.
- Scatter pistachios, yoghurt and mint leaves on top and serve at the table with couscous from the tin.
Equipment and tools
To make this lamb and cranberry tagine recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Large cooking pot
- wooden spoon
This lamb and cranberry tagine recipe may contain the following common allergens:
- Yogurt (if served)
- Couscous (if served)
Please be aware of these allergens if anyone consuming the dish suffers from allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover lamb and cranberry tagine, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving. The flavor can become even more intense and develop further if stored in the refrigerator overnight. Serve the rest of the dish with plain yogurt, a handful of mint leaves and couscous for a delicious meal.
Health Benefits of Lamb and Cranberry Tagine
Health Benefits of Lamb and Cranberry Tagine
Lamb and Cranberry Tagine is a tasty and nutritious dish that combines the goodness of lean lamb with the tang of cranberries. This dish offers several health benefits due to its main ingredients and spices. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional benefits of this delicious tagine.
1. Lean lamb
The main ingredient of this recipe is lean lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat. Lamb is an excellent source of high-quality protein, essential for building and repairing tissue. It also provides vital nutrients such as iron, zinc, selenium and various B vitamins.
Cranberries are a rich source of antioxidants and full of nutrients. They are known to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. These small red berries are also a good source of fiber, vitamin C and vitamin E, which support a healthy immune system and contribute to overall well-being.
The spices used in this recipe such as ground cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon and cardamom not only provide a special taste but also provide numerous health benefits. Spices are often touted for their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and digestive properties, making this tagine both delicious and health-promoting.
4. Olive oil
Olive oil, used as the cooking medium in this recipe, contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. It is also a good source of vitamin E and offers potential anti-inflammatory benefits. Including olive oil in your diet can support cardiovascular health and help reduce the risk of chronic disease.
Pistachios sprinkled on the tagine as a garnish not only add a delicious crunch but also provide several health benefits. These nuts are full of protein, fiber and healthy fats. They are also an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, thiamine, copper and phosphorus.
6. Couscous and yogurt
Serving the lamb and cranberry tagine with couscous and natural yogurt further improves the nutritional profile. Couscous is a healthy grain that is low in fat and is a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Plain yogurt is rich in beneficial probiotics that support gut health and provide calcium, protein and other essential nutrients.
In summary, this lamb and cranberry tagine is not only a delicious treat for your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From lean lamb and antioxidant-packed cranberries to spices with anti-inflammatory properties, this dish is a healthy choice to incorporate into your diet. So give this tasty tagine a try and enjoy a nutritious meal!