Spicy, sweet and sticky, these Korean BBQ wings are a great choice as a dinner party appetizer. The juicy chicken wings are marinated in an aromatic blend of soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger, creating a perfect balance of savory and sweet. These perfectly grilled wings feature a beautiful caramelized glaze that is sure to satisfy any craving. Serve these delicious wings with a spicy dipping sauce and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions for a touch of freshness. Your guests are sure to be impressed with this delicious Korean BBQ treat!
- 12 chicken wings
- 11?2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 2½ cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1½ tbsp Sriracha chili sauce (or another hot chili sauce)
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
Spread the chicken wings out so they cook evenly and are easier to eat.
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for at least 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, add vinegar and soy to a jug.
- Heat the sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved, then simmer until a deep caramel color is formed.
- Stand way back as it spits and pour in the vinegar and soy.
- Reduce the heat and let the sauce bubble for a few minutes. Then add the remaining sauce ingredients, stir well and cook until smooth and thickened, 5 minutes.
- Put aside.
- Light the grill (or set your oven’s broiler to medium).
- Once the coals have gone out, spread them into an even layer.
- Trim the tips of the chicken wings, then stretch them out as straight as possible and insert a skewer through the length of each wing.
- Brush the skin with the oil and season.
- Cook the wings on the grill or under the broiler for 10 minutes on each side, until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Place the skewers on a large plate.
- Pour two-thirds of the sauce into a bowl, reserving the rest in the pan.
- Using a brush, coat each skewer well with the sauce from the bowl, then place back on the grill or broil and cook for another 2-3 minutes on each side until the sauce is caramelized.
- Transfer the skewers to a serving platter.
- Reheat the reserved sauce, adding a splash of water if necessary to loosen it, then drizzle over the skewers.
- Top with sesame seeds and spring onions.
Equipment and tools
- Aluminum foil
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- This recipe contains soy sauce, which may contain gluten.
- Check ingredients for possible other allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the wings on a baking sheet and heat in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Do not freeze leftovers.
Health Benefits of Korean BBQ Wings
Korean BBQ wings are not only delicious but also offer several health benefits. Packed with protein and essential nutrients, these wings can be a great choice for a filling and nutritious meal. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of the main ingredients used in this recipe.
Chicken wings are a rich source of lean protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue in the body. Protein also helps maintain healthy skin, hair and nails. In addition, chicken wings contain a good amount of essential vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc and B vitamins.
Sunflower oil is a heart-healthy cooking oil that is low in saturated fats and high in monounsaturated fats. It contains vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps protect the body from harmful free radicals. Moderate consumption of sunflower oil can help maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.
Roasted sesame seeds not only give Korean BBQ wings a nutty flavor but also provide several health benefits. They are a rich source of healthy fats, including omega-6 fatty acids, which support brain health and reduce inflammation in the body. Sesame seeds are also rich in essential minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium.
Finely chopped spring onions not only enhance the appearance of the dish, but also offer various health benefits. Green onions are a good source of vitamin C and vitamin K, which play an important role in strengthening the immune system and maintaining healthy bones. They also contain antioxidants that protect the body from certain diseases.
Rice wine vinegar
Rice wine vinegar is commonly used in Korean cuisine because of its unique taste. It has a slightly sweet and spicy taste and offers several health benefits. It supports digestion, promotes a healthy gut and can help with weight control. Rice wine vinegar is also said to have antibacterial properties.
Soy sauce, a staple of Asian cuisine, is made from fermented soybeans. It is a source of essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins in our body. Soy sauce is also low in calories and provides important nutrients such as iron, potassium and manganese.
Golden powdered sugar
The golden powdered sugar used in the Korean BBQ wings recipe adds a touch of sweetness to the dish. While sugar should be consumed in moderation, a small amount can provide a quick energy boost. It’s important to balance sugar intake with an overall healthy diet.
The addition of freshly grated ginger not only enhances the flavor of the wings, but also brings numerous health benefits. Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is often used to aid digestion and relieve stomach discomfort. It can also help relieve muscle soreness and lower blood sugar levels.
Sriracha chili sauce
Sriracha chili sauce or any other hot chili sauce gives the Korean BBQ wings a spicy touch. Spicy foods are known to stimulate metabolism, promote satiety and can help with weight control. Chili peppers also contain capsaicin, which has been linked to various health benefits, including pain relief and anti-inflammation.
The addition of tomato ketchup gives the Korean BBQ wings a spicy sweetness. While ketchup should be consumed in moderation due to its sugar and salt content, the tomatoes used in its preparation are a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are particularly high in vitamin C and lycopene, which can help reduce the risk of certain diseases.
With these nutrient-dense ingredients, Korean BBQ wings can be a flavorful and healthy addition to your menu. Remember to enjoy them in moderation and combine them with a balanced diet to achieve maximum health benefits.