This vegetarian dish called Kale with Chana and Coconut is a delicious blend of flavors and textures. The combination of nutrient-rich kale, protein-rich chickpeas, aromatic spices and creamy yogurt makes it a perfect accompaniment to various curries.
With influences from Chana Masala and Saag Bhaji, this dish offers a unique twist on traditional Indian cuisine. The seasoned vegetables add a touch of flavor to the dish, while the coconut adds a subtle sweetness that perfectly balances the dish’s savory elements.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply want to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, this Kale with Chana and Coconut recipe is a must-try. Not only does it satisfy your taste buds, but it also provides a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Serve it alongside your favorite curries for a complete and filling meal.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
- 2 heaped teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 200 g kale, large stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 50g fresh coconuts, grated
- 4 heaped tablespoons Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried curry leaves (optional)
- Heat the butter in a deep frying pan.
- Add the onion and sauté gently for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the ginger and spices.
- Fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in tomato puree.
- Add kale, chickpeas, broth and two-thirds of the coconut.
- Stir well, then cover the pan.
- Bring to a boil and let the kale steam until well wilted, 10 minutes.
- Mix in the yogurt and chutney.
- Season to taste and stop cooking after adding the yoghurt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave it covered, warm.
- Heat the oil in a small pot.
- When hot, add the garlic (and curry leaves if using).
- Sizzle until garlic begins to turn golden brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add oil, garlic and curry leaves over the chickpeas and kale.
- Finish with the remaining coconut.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
This recipe contains dairy (butter, Greek yogurt) and coconut. Depending on the brand of ingredients used, it may also contain traces of gluten and nuts. Detailed information about allergens can be found on the respective packaging.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers from this dish can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
Health Benefits of Kale with Chana and Coconut
Kale with chana and coconut is a delicious and nutritious dish that offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients like kale, chana (chickpeas), and coconut, this recipe provides a ton of essential nutrients that are beneficial for overall health. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these key ingredients:
Due to its exceptional nutritional profile, kale is often referred to as a superfood. This leafy green vegetable is rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as minerals such as calcium, potassium and iron. Regular consumption of kale can help boost the immune system, support healthy bones, and optimize blood clotting. It is also a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
Chickpeas, also called chana, are a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. They are an excellent addition to a vegetarian or vegan diet as they provide essential amino acids and help maintain satiety. Chickpeas are also rich in vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, iron and magnesium. Including chickpeas in your diet can help regulate blood sugar levels, support heart health, and promote healthy weight management.
Coconut is a versatile ingredient that adds a unique flavor and texture to dishes. It is a rich source of healthy fats, including medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are easily digested and provide a quick source of energy. In addition, coconuts contain important minerals such as manganese, copper and selenium. The saturated fats in coconuts are believed to have numerous health benefits, including improving heart health, supporting brain function, and boosting immunity.
The rest of the ingredients in this recipe also contribute to its health benefits. Onions and garlic are known for their immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger and turmeric, often used together in traditional medicine, have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Cumin seeds and coriander offer unique flavors while providing multiple health benefits such as aiding digestion and reducing inflammation.
Overall, Kale with Chana and Coconut is a nutritious dish that combines the health benefits of kale, chickpeas, coconut and various other ingredients. Incorporating this recipe into your regular meals will help you achieve a balanced and healthy diet.