If a giant turkey seems like too much and turkey sandwiches aren’t your thing, opt for a crown instead of a whole bird. This delicious recipe combines the juiciness of a moist turkey crown with a delicious chestnut truffle filling. The juicy and tender turkey, perfectly cooked and seasoned, combined with the earthy and aromatic flavors of chestnuts and truffles, will transport you to a gourmet culinary experience. Whether it’s a celebratory occasion or an intimate family dinner, this dish is sure to impress you and leave your taste buds wanting more. Serve with your favorite side dishes for a truly incredible feast.
- 1½ kg turkey crown
- 50 g butter, soft
- 1 shallot, soaked
- 200 g wild mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50ml Madeira
- 100g chestnuts, finely chopped
- Bunch of thyme sprigs
- 3 tbsp truffle oil
- 3l cold water
- 140g salt
- 5 tablespoons clear honey or brown sugar
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 100ml Madeira
- 400 ml chicken broth
Turkey has one
Reputation for drying
out, so I use a trick
I learned that in the USA
consists of salting the meat. Basically
You marinate the meat in it
a salt solution that takes care of this
it stays damp – but don’t worry,
it does not increase drastically
the total salt content.
Paired with a filling
with wild mushroom flavor
With truffles it makes a
impressive centerpieceCrispy garlic potatoes
Peel and quarter 1.5 kg potatoes.
Cook in boiling water for 7 minutes, then drain
So. Return to the pan with 1 tablespoon of polenta
and shake in the pan to loosen it all up
Edge. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
Heat 5 tablespoons of olive oil in a large roasting pan. Tip
in the potatoes and 1 garlic bulb, separated
in cloves. Roast for 45-50 minutes until crispy.
Turn once during cooking.
- Prepare the brine by heating 200ml water, salt, honey or sugar and thyme sprigs in a small pan. Stir until the salt has dissolved.
- Mix the brine with the remaining water and pour over the turkey in a bowl. Cover and chill for 4-8 hours.
- For the filling, melt a piece of butter in a frying pan. Add shallot and fry until soft.
- Add mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the Madeira, add the chestnuts and the leaves of a thyme sprig. Cook for another 10 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Drizzle the mixture with truffle oil and allow to cool. Mix with the remaining butter.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Gently run your fingers or a spoon under the bird’s skin to create a pocket between the meat and skin.
- Brush the meat with the truffle butter, following the contours of the breast. Brush more butter over the skin.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan and chill for up to 1 day.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas. 6. Roast the turkey for 1 hour (about 40 minutes per kg).
- Baste the turkey with the pan juices and cover loosely with foil if the skin starts to brown halfway through cooking.
- Check if the turkey is cooked by piercing the thickest part with a skewer. The juice should be clear.
- Remove the turkey from the pan and let it rest, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, pour excess fat from the roasting pan. Place the can on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the shallot to the mold and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over the shallot and mix. Pour in the Madeira slowly, scraping up any caramelized cooking juices.
- If the sauce becomes lumpy, beat out any lumps. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer until slightly thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- If desired, strain the sauce before serving.
**Equipment and Tools**
Equipment and tools
To prepare this moist turkey crown with chestnut truffle stuffing, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A roasting pan
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A large pan
- A mixing bowl
- A spoon or spatula
This moist turkey crown with chestnut and truffle filling contains the following allergens:
- Nuts: Chestnuts are used for the filling
- Gluten: Flour is used in the sauce
- Dairy: Butter is used to soften the shallot
**Storage and Leftovers**
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from this juicy turkey crown with chestnut truffle filling, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 3 days. To reheat leftovers, place them in a preheated oven at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4 for around 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Moist Turkey Crown with Chestnut Truffle Stuffing
The recipe for juicy turkey crown with chestnut and truffle stuffing not only provides a delicious and impressive centerpiece for your feast, but also several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the key ingredients and their positive effects on your well-being.
Turkey is a lean meat that is low in fat and high in protein. It provides important nutrients such as iron, zinc, potassium and vitamin B12. The protein in turkey promotes muscle growth and repair, while the high levels of vitamin B12 support brain function and red blood cell production.
2. Wild mushrooms
Wild mushrooms, a key ingredient in the filling, are not only delicious but also full of health benefits. They are a good source of vitamins B and D, which are important for energy production, immune function and bone health. Wild mushrooms are also rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
Chestnuts give the filling a wonderfully nutty flavor while providing various health benefits. They are rich in fiber, which supports digestion and ensures a longer-lasting feeling of fullness. Chestnuts are also a good source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports immune function and collagen production.
4. Truffle oil
Truffle oil used to flavor the filling not only provides a unique and luxurious taste, but also offers potential health benefits. Truffle oil is extracted from truffles, a type of mushroom known for its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help reduce inflammation, protect against chronic disease and promote overall well-being.
The recipe includes thyme, a fragrant herb that not only enhances flavor but also provides health benefits. Thyme is rich in vitamins C and A as well as several beneficial plant compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Olive oil
The crispy garlic potatoes are cooked in olive oil, which is a heart-healthy choice. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. It also provides vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects cells from free radical damage.
By incorporating these ingredients into your holiday meal, you will not only create a memorable dish, but also enjoy the health benefits it offers. So treat yourself to the Moist Turkey Crown with chestnut truffle filling without feeling guilty, knowing that you are nourishing your body with healthy ingredients.