This jam recipe is more than just a dessert; it’s a touch of nostalgia and warmth. With easy-to-find ingredients and a no-fuss method, anyone can recreate the deliciousness of traditional school lunches. The soft sponge cake encases a sweet, sticky jam that is sure to bring back childhood memories. Whether you enjoy this treat during a break or as a hearty lunch, this simple yet comforting recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings and create new, lasting memories.
- 50g salted butter, cold and cut into pieces, plus a little butter for greasing
- 250g self-rising flour, plus some flour for rolling
- 1 vanilla pod, pulp scraped out
- 50 g crushed tallow
- 150 ml milk, a drop more if necessary
- 100 g raspberry or plum jam or a mixture
- Vanilla pudding, for serving
- Place a deep roasting pan on the bottom rack of the oven, making sure there is another rack directly above it.
- Pull out the roasting pan on its rack, fill it two-thirds full with boiling water from the kettle and carefully slide it back in.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Tear off a large sheet of foil and baking paper (approx. 30 x 40 cm).
- Place the baking paper on the foil and brush it with butter.
- Place butter, flour, and vanilla seeds in a food processor; pulse until butter is gone.
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Stir through the suet, pour in the milk and use a kitchen knife to form a sticky dough.
- Depending on your flour, you may need a drop more milk.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface, quickly pat it down and then roll it out into a square measuring approximately 25 x 25 cm.
- Spread the jam all over, leaving a gap on one edge, then roll it up from the opposite edge.
- Press the jam-free edge into the dough where it meets and roughly pinch the ends together as well.
- Carefully lift it onto the greased paper, joining side down (a flat baking sheet might be helpful here).
- Loosely roll up the paper and foil, then fold at the edges and ends to seal.
- The chubby puffy puffs up quite a bit as it cooks, so don’t wrap it too tightly.
- Lift the package directly onto the rack above the dish and let it cook for 1 hour.
- Let the pudding rest for five minutes before unwrapping it. Then carefully open the foil and paper and cut into thick slices to serve.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- dough mixer or fork
- rolling pin
- Greased baking dish
This recipe contains dairy (butter and milk) and gluten (self-raising flour). Depending on the type of jam used, it may also contain traces of nuts and fruits. Please check specific ingredients and adjust accordingly to accommodate allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place individual portions in the microwave for a few seconds or warm in the preheated oven until warmed through. It’s best enjoyed fresh. Therefore, try to consume it within the recommended time frame to ensure optimal taste and texture. Serve with vanilla sauce for an extra delicious treat.
The Health Benefits of Jam Roly-Poly
Although jam roly-poly may not be the first dessert that comes to mind when you think of healthy eating, this classic British pudding actually offers some surprising health benefits. Jam Roly-Poly is made from a few simple ingredients such as butter, flour, tallow, milk and jam and can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious treat.
1. Good source of energy
Jam Roly-Poly’s main ingredients, such as butter, flour and suet, are all excellent sources of energy. Despite its high fat content, butter provides essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins. Flour, especially self-raising flour, is rich in carbohydrates, which are the body’s main source of energy. Tallow, obtained from animal fat, provides an additional energy boost, making Jam Roly-Poly an ideal dessert to enjoy after a physically demanding day.
2. Nutrient rich
Although Jam Roly-Poly is not a superfood, it does contain some important nutrients. For example, self-raising flour provides important minerals, including iron, magnesium and zinc. Milk, from which the dough is made, is an excellent source of calcium, which ensures strong bones and teeth. Additionally, the vanilla seeds scraped from the pod add a touch of flavor and contain antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
3. Rich in fiber
The self-raising flour used in Jam Roly-Poly also contributes to its fiber content. Fiber plays a crucial role in digestion and can help prevent constipation, regulate blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol. Including fiber-rich foods like Jam Roly-Poly in your diet can help support a healthy digestive system.
4. Pleasant fruit filling
Roly-Poly jam traditionally contains a filling of raspberry or plum jam, which provides a fruity sweetness. Although jam should be consumed in moderation due to its sugar content, it still offers some health benefits. For example, raspberry and plum jam are full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals extracted from the fruits. So while you enjoy Jam Roly-Poly, you can also enjoy the benefits of these nutritious fruits.
Overall, Jam Roly-Poly can be a delicious and occasionally indulgent dessert that offers some unexpected health benefits. However, it is important to note that moderation is key as excessive consumption can lead to weight gain and other health problems. Enjoy a piece of Jam Roly-Poly paired with some custard as a treat every now and then and enjoy the delicious flavors and potential health benefits it has to offer.