This Italian vegetable casserole is a delicious and vibrant dish that is sure to impress your taste buds. This recipe is perfect for those lazy days when you want a hearty yet simple meal. It is designed for the slow cooker and ensures that all the flavors meld together beautifully.
The layers of summery zucchini, juicy tomatoes and creamy eggplant are perfectly complemented by the addition of bread and mozzarella. The result is a delicious mix of textures and flavors that are simply irresistible.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just want to add more vegetables to your diet, this Italian vegetable casserole is a hit. Enjoy the taste of Italy right at home with this delicious and satisfying dish.
- 4 garlic cloves, 3 crushed, 1 whole
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- Bunch of oregano, leaves chopped
- large pinch of chili flakes
- about 300 g baby or regular eggplant, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- ½ large jar of roasted red peppers
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- Bunch of basil, torn (reserve a few leaves for sprinkling)
- small baguette, sliced and toasted
- 2 x 125g balls of mozzarella, torn
- green salad for serving
- Set the slow cooker to the high or browning setting
- Add the crushed garlic, canned tomatoes, half of the oregano leaves, chili and some spices
- Cook covered while you chop the remaining vegetables
- Add most of the sauce
- Start by layering half of the vegetables and herbs with spices – eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, tomatoes, basil and the remaining oregano
- Layer half of the bread and rub with the whole garlic clove
- Add half of the mozzarella and half of the poured tomato sauce
- Repeat the vegetable, herb and tomato sauce layers
- Layer in the remaining bread and mozzarella
- Press down well to compress it
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours
- If desired and your slow cooker pot is suitable, grill under the broiler before serving
- Grill until golden brown and bubbling
- Serve with the remaining basil leaves on top
- Serve with a large salad on the side
Equipment and tools
To prepare this Italian vegetable casserole, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- tin opener
- measuring spoon
- Large frying pan
This Italian vegetable casserole may contain allergens. Please note the following information:
- This recipe contains garlic and onions.
- It may also contain gluten if served with bread.
- For those with milk allergies, the mozzarella can be omitted or replaced with a dairy-free alternative.
- Please read ingredient labels carefully if you have specific dietary concerns.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this Italian vegetable casserole, here are some storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before storing.
- Place leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking.
- The vegetable casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the desired portion of the vegetable casserole in an ovenproof dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Before serving, make sure the dish is piping hot.
The health benefits of Italian vegetable casserole
Italian vegetable casserole is a delicious and nutritious dish that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. Packed with a variety of vegetables and herbs, this flavorful recipe can be a great addition to your diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients of this dish:
Known for its powerful antioxidant properties, garlic has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. Its active ingredient, allicin, is associated with boosting the immune system, lowering cholesterol, and improving heart health.
The Italian vegetable casserole contains chopped tomatoes, which are rich in vitamins A and C as well as antioxidants such as lycopene. Lycopene has been linked to a reduced risk of certain cancers and heart disease. Tomatoes are also low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to a balanced diet.
Oregano is not only an aromatic herb, but also a powerhouse of antioxidants. It contains compounds with antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that may help improve overall health. Oregano has also been studied for its potential to lower blood sugar levels.
Eggplant, also called eggplant, is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a good choice for weight management. They are also a good source of potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure, and contain antioxidants that protect against cell damage.
Zucchini or zucchini is another vegetable included in this recipe that offers health benefits. They are rich in vitamin C, which is important for immune function and collagen formation. Zucchini also provides fiber and is low in calories, making it beneficial for weight loss or maintenance.
Roasted red peppers not only give the dish a special taste, but also provide important nutrients. They are a great source of vitamin C and vitamin A, which promote healthy skin and support the immune system. Red peppers also contain antioxidants that help protect against chronic diseases.
Basil not only adds delicious flavor to Italian vegetable casserole, but also offers several health benefits. This herb is rich in vitamins A, K and C as well as minerals such as calcium and iron. Basil also contains plant compounds with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Mozzarella cheese is a good source of protein and calcium, which is important for building and maintaining strong bones. It also provides phosphorus, zinc and vitamins such as vitamin B12. However, it’s worth noting that mozzarella is high in saturated fat, so moderation is key.
Italian vegetable casserole is a versatile dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. From the antioxidants in garlic and oregano to the vitamins in tomatoes and basil, each ingredient adds its own nutritional value to the dish. So next time you’re looking for a tasty and nutritious meal, give Italian Vegetable Casserole a try!