Want to add a touch of excitement to your leftover cooked salmon? Try these delicious Indian spiced fish cakes whose flavors will leave your taste buds craving for more. These simple and easy to make fish cakes are a great way to give your leftovers a delicious upgrade. With a refreshing side of cooling raita, it’s the perfect side dish to balance out the spiciness of the fish cakes. Plus, you can freeze these fish cakes for later, making them a convenient and delicious option for any day of the week. Spice up your dining experience with these delicious treats!
- 600g potatoes, quartered if large
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g cooked leftover salmon, cut into large pieces
- Flour for brushing
- 25g butter and 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Leftover avocado mayonnaise, raita or mango chutney for serving
Mix 150 g natural yogurt with 1 teaspoon mint jelly, 1 tablespoon chopped coriander and season to taste.
- Boil the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the cumin seeds in a large non-stick frying pan for a few seconds.
- When the potatoes are tender, drain them and return them to the pot.
- Add cumin, onions, chili and coriander to the pot.
- Season with plenty of spices and puree well.
- As soon as the mixture has cooled slightly, stir in 2 tablespoons of egg.
- Gently stir in the salmon.
- Form 4 rough cakes from the mixture.
- Coat the fish cakes with flour.
- When freezing the cakes, place them on a baking sheet until firm, then wrap them up.
- Melt the butter with the oil in the pan.
- Fry the fish cakes until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve the fish cakes with mayonnaise, raita (recipe below) or mango chutney.
- Add a few lettuce leaves as a garnish.
Equipment and tools
- Potato masher
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish (salmon)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the fish cakes in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Indian Spiced Fish Cakes
Indian spiced fish cakes are not only a delicious dish but also offer several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and discover the nutritional benefits they offer:
The potatoes in this recipe not only give the fish cakes a creamy consistency, but also provide important nutrients. Potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates and fiber. They are also rich in vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6, all of which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system, heart health and brain function.
The addition of cumin gives the fish cakes a special taste. Cumin seeds also have various health benefits. They are known to aid digestion and promote a healthy gut due to their high fiber content. Additionally, cumin seeds contain antioxidants that reduce inflammation and may have immune-boosting properties.
Finely chopped green onions not only enhance the flavor of the fish cakes but also add nutritional value. Green onions are rich in vitamins A and C, which are essential for maintaining healthy skin, improving vision, and supporting the immune system.
The addition of red chili gives the fish cakes a spicy touch and offers a number of health benefits. Chilies contain a compound called capsaicin, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help relieve pain. Additionally, capsaicin is believed to boost metabolism and help you lose weight.
Coriander or cilantro is not only an aromatic herb but also offers several health benefits. It is a rich source of antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins A, C, and K. Cilantro can aid digestion, lower blood sugar levels, and support heart health.
The main source of protein in these fish cakes is salmon, which is very nutritious. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on cardiovascular health, brain function and reducing inflammation in the body. It is also a good source of vitamin D, vitamin B12 and selenium.
By combining these ingredients, Indian spiced fish cakes create a tasty and nutritious meal. They provide a range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that support overall health and well-being. To enhance the dish, serve with leftover avocado mayonnaise, raita or mango chutney for added flavor and nutritional value.