Serve this exquisitely spiced Indian Spice Box Chicken, a tantalizing dish that will transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of India. Refined with a harmonious blend of aromatic spices, the tender chicken pieces are infused with rich flavors that will leave you wanting more. Perfectly complemented by fluffy mounds of rice, this culinary masterpiece is a real treat for the eyes and taste buds. Enjoy the symphony of spices and textures that make this dish an absolute must for any Indian food lover. Prepare for a culinary journey like no other.
- 50 g fat green mild chilies (approx. 3 large ones)
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 5 cm piece of fresh ginger root
- a bunch of fresh coriander
- 200g carton of full fat Greek yogurt
- 2 medium onions
- 8 medium bone-in chicken thighs (total weight approx. 800g-1kg/1lb 12oz-2lb 4oz)
- 2 tablespoons peanut or corn oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- a good piece of butter
- Chili ginger side dish for serving (see below)
If you have time, make this dish a few hours before you need it (or even the day before) so the tart, spicy chiles can mingle with the toasted spice flavors.
- Make the chili-ginger side dish by slicing the green chilies lengthwise and removing the seeds.
- Roughly chop the chilies and place them in a blender or food processor.
- Peel the garlic and ginger, chop roughly and add to the blender.
- Pick the coriander leaves and put them in the blender.
- Put the yogurt in the blender and puree everything into a puree.
- Peel the onions, halve them and cut them into thin slices.
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add fennel and cumin seeds.
- Allow the seeds to crackle and pop for 10-20 seconds.
- Add butter and sliced onions to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Push the onions aside and add the chicken thighs to the pan.
- Sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides.
- Stir in some of the yogurt mixture and cook until the liquid has disappeared.
- Beat cold water in a blender and add it to the pan with a pinch of salt.
- Stir until bubbles form, scraping up any crispy bits.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan tightly and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with finely chopped coriander stalks and some chili garnish.
Equipment and tools
To make this Indian Spice Box Chicken recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- Blender or food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- frying pan
- Tongs or spatula
This Indian Spice Box Chicken recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: Greek yogurt and butter
Please exercise caution if you or your guests have dairy allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this delicious Indian Spice Box Chicken, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the dish to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When reheating, make sure the chicken is consistently hot before serving.
Enjoy leftover chicken as a filling for wraps, sandwiches, or salad!
Health Benefits of Indian Spice Box Chicken
Indian Spice Box Chicken is a flavorful and aromatic dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits. Packed with spices and ingredients known for their nutritional value, this dish can be a healthy addition to your diet. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of the main ingredients used in this recipe:
1. Green chilies
Green chilies are rich in antioxidants and capsaicin, which gives them that spicy kick. Capsaicin has been found to have several health benefits, including reducing inflammation, boosting metabolism, and aiding in weight loss. Additionally, green chilies are a good source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system.
Garlic has been used for its medicinal properties for centuries. It contains compounds such as allicin, which have been shown to have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral effects. Garlic is also known to lower blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels, and support heart health. In addition, it is rich in antioxidants that can strengthen the immune system.
Ginger is a versatile spice that gives the dish a unique flavor. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce pain and inflammation in the body. Ginger is also traditionally used to aid digestion, relieve nausea and strengthen the immune system. It contains potent bioactive compounds called gingerols, which have antioxidant and antimicrobial effects.
Coriander, also known as cilantro, is a herb commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Coriander is believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help protect against various chronic diseases. It is also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and maintains healthy bowel movements.
5. Greek yogurt
Using full-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe provides a creamy texture and tangy flavor. Greek yogurt is a good source of high-quality protein, calcium and probiotics. It supports intestinal health, aids digestion and promotes satiety. Including Greek yogurt in your diet can also help improve bone health and promote muscle recovery.
By incorporating these ingredients into your diet through Indian Spice Box Chicken, you can enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal that contributes to your overall well-being. Remember to enjoy the dish in moderation and take individual dietary needs or allergies into account.
If you have time, prepare the dish in advance to allow the flavors to mingle. This enhances the flavor and makes it even more delicious.