Treat your taste buds to the perfect mix of freshness and richness in this delicious recipe. Our refreshing fresh mint leaves add a touch of natural flavor that perfectly complements the velvety smoothness of the dark chocolate pieces. Made with real vanilla seeds, this luxurious ice cream will satisfy all your sweet cravings. Whether you’re treating yourself or impressing guests, this classic combination of mint and chocolate will never disappoint. Experience the ultimate indulgence with every delicious scoop of our ice cream with fresh mint and chocolate chips.
- 140g dark chocolate
- 400 ml whole milk
- 300 ml cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 75 g fresh mint leaves with stems
- 4 large egg yolks
- 140g powdered sugar
- Ice cream cones for serving (optional)
Method: Ice cream with fresh mint and chocolate chips
- Place the chocolate in a plastic bag, seal and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, beat the frozen chocolate until it falls apart into small pieces in the bag.
- Pour the milk and cream into a medium-heavy bottomed saucepan, then add the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the mixture.
- Heat the creamy milk, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling.
- Add the mint leaves and stems, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and squeeze the mint with a spatula to retain maximum flavor.
- Remove the leaves and stems and spoon out the vanilla bean.
- Whisk egg yolks and confectioners’ sugar until thick and light – about 5 minutes if using an electric whisk.
- Pour the mint cream back into a clean pot and bring to almost the boil.
- Pour half of the hot liquid onto the egg and sugar mixture and stir to combine before adding the remaining liquid.
- Return the custard to the rinsed pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened – about 3-4 minutes.
- Be careful not to let it get too hot or it may curdle.
- Strain the custard into a bowl and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill the vanilla pudding really well – it’s best to leave it overnight.
- Churn the custard in an ice cream maker until frozen.
- Add the chocolate chips just before it sets.
- If you don’t have a machine, pour the custard into a chilled container and freeze for 2-3 hours, until the edges are icy.
- Whisk thoroughly to break up any crystals, then add the chocolate and freeze until solid.
- Leave to soften in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, then serve in bowls or bags.
Equipment and tools
- Ice cream maker
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
- This recipe contains dairy products (milk, cream and egg yolks).
- This recipe contains soy (dark chocolate)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and store it in the freezer. It lasts up to 1 month. Make sure you consume it within this time frame to get the best flavor and texture.
The health benefits of fresh mint and chocolate chip ice cream
Ice cream with fresh mint and chocolate chips is not only a delicious treat for the taste buds, but also offers a number of health benefits. This article section explores the nutritional benefits of this delicious yet refreshing dessert.
1. Antioxidant-rich dark chocolate
The recipe contains 140g of dark chocolate, which is not only delicious but also a source of powerful antioxidants. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, including catechins, flavanols and polyphenols, which may help protect the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Additionally, these flavonoids are associated with improving heart health and lowering blood pressure.
2. Nutrient-rich fresh mint
The addition of 75g of fresh mint leaves with stems provides more than just a refreshing taste. Mint is packed with essential nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C and fiber. Vitamin A promotes good vision and supports a healthy immune system, while vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage and supporting collagen production. In addition, mint can also promote digestion and help relieve indigestion.
3. Calcium-rich milk and cream
The combination of 400 ml whole milk and 300 ml cream not only provides a creamy texture, but also contributes to the nutritional value of the ice cream. Both milk and cream are excellent sources of calcium, a mineral essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Calcium also supports proper muscle function and can help prevent conditions such as osteoporosis.
4. Natural vanilla and its potential benefits
The recipe calls for a split vanilla bean which provides a wonderful aroma and taste. Although vanilla does not offer any significant nutritional benefits, some research suggests that it may have potential therapeutic properties such as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. However, more studies are needed to fully understand these potential benefits.
5. Moderation is key
It’s important to note that while fresh mint and chocolate chip ice cream may provide certain health benefits, it should be enjoyed in moderation. The recipe contains powdered sugar, which adds sweetness, but should only be consumed in limited quantities due to its high calorie content. Additionally, ice cream cones are optional and should be chosen carefully to avoid excessively refined carbohydrates and empty calories.
Overall, enjoying a scoop of ice cream with fresh mint and chocolate chips can be a delicious and relatively nutritious choice when made with quality ingredients. However, it is important to remember that balance and moderation are crucial to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.