This fabulous Christmas cake can be baked and decorated in four different ways. Just select yours
Treat yourself to the warm flavors of a hot whirlwind in this delicious fruit cake. Packed with rich dried fruits, spices and a touch of liqueur, it’s the perfect treat to ring in the festive season. Choose from four unique variations to suit your taste and style. From a traditional fruit cake with marzipan and icing to a modern version with fresh citrus flavors, there is something for everyone. Whether you’re a fan of classic Christmas desserts or want to try something new, this Hot Toddy Fruit Cake is sure to be a hit!
- 200 ml hot, strong black tea (use any variety)
- 3 tbsp whiskey
- 3 tbsp high-quality orange jam, chopped thinly or medium-sized
- 700g mixed dried fruits
- 100g mixed peel
- 100g glazed cherries (natural color)
- 225g butter
- 225g golden powdered sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 225g flour
- 1 tsp ground spice mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
- 50 ml hot black tea
- 1 tbsp whiskey (or use orange juice if you prefer)
Immerse yourself in whiskey, tea and jam
makes for the juiciest, richest fruit, but not
overwhelming, cake. If you use orange juice
instead of whiskey the result will still be good.
- Mix hot tea, whiskey and jam in a large bowl until jam melts.
- Stir in all the dried fruit, peel and cherries, then cover and let soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas mark 3 and grease a round, deep cake tin with a diameter of 20cm and line it twice with non-stick baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixers until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and spices, followed by the lemon zest and the soaked fruit.
- Add the liquid that was not absorbed by the fruit.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the lid.
- Bake for 1½ hours at the starting temperature.
- Turn the oven down to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas mark 1 and bake for a further 1.5 hours, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin on a cake rack.
- While the cake is still warm, use a skewer to poke holes all the way down into the cake.
- Dissolve the sugar in the tea, add the whiskey or orange juice, then spoon it over the surface of the cake.
- If you are making the cake in advance, feed it a fresh sip of hot toddy every week, being careful not to make the cake soggy.
- The cake will keep for one month in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- If time is short, the cake can be baked the same day you decorate it.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this hot fruit cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Heavy-bottomed pot
- parchment paper
- 23cm round cake tin
- Cooling rack
- saw knife
This Hot Toddy Fruit Cake contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
Please use caution if you or anyone eating this cake has any allergies or dietary restrictions related to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
This hot toddy fruit cake is best stored in an airtight container at room temperature. It will last up to 1 week.
If you have leftovers, you can freeze them for longer storage. Wrap the slices tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost the cake, remove it from the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Hot Toddy Fruitcake
Hot Toddy Fruitcake not only delights the taste buds with its rich flavors but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and how they contribute to your well-being.
1. Black tea
The recipe calls for 200ml of hot, strong black tea that offers various health benefits. Black tea is known for its high antioxidant content, which protects the body from inflammation and oxidative stress. It can also promote heart health, improve digestion and strengthen the immune system.
Adding 3 tablespoons of whiskey to the Hot Toddy Fruitcake not only enhances the flavor but also offers potential health benefits in moderation. Studies suggest that moderate alcohol consumption, such as: B. Whiskey, can have a positive impact on heart health and reduce the risk of certain diseases. Remember to consume alcohol responsibly and in moderation.
3. Orange jam
Using high-quality orange jam gives the fruit cake a wonderful citrus flavor. Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system, supports collagen production and acts as an antioxidant in the body. Adding orange marmalade to your dessert can give you a dose of this important vitamin.
4. Mixed dried fruits
This recipe contains 700g of mixed dried fruit, which contains a range of essential nutrients. Dried fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. They provide antioxidants, potassium and iron and can contribute to a healthy digestive system and improved overall well-being.
5. Mixed bowl
Incorporating 100g of mixed peel into the Hot Toddy Fruitcake adds a touch of flavor and texture. Mixed peel is made from the peel of various citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons. Citrus peels are a good source of fiber and contain essential oils that offer potential health benefits, including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
6. Glace cherries
100g of natural colored icing cherries give this fruit cake a wonderful splash of color. Not only are cherries visually appealing, but they also offer health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber, which can support anti-inflammatory processes, promote heart health and aid digestion.
7. Butter and eggs
This recipe contains 225g butter and 4 beaten eggs, which add to the texture and flavor of the fruit cake. Although these ingredients should be consumed in moderation due to their high fat and cholesterol content, they provide important nutrients such as protein and vitamins A, D, E and K.
8. Plain flour and spices
The combination of 225g flour, 1 teaspoon ground spice mix and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon gives the fruit cake depth and warmth. Additionally, cinnamon may have several potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties, improved blood sugar control, and a positive effect on heart health.
9. Lemon peel
Finely grated lemon zest not only gives the fruit cake a refreshing citrus flavor, but also provides a dose of vitamin C and bioactive compounds that may have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Additional soaking ingredients
The Hot Toddy Fruitcake gets its moisture from soaking in a mixture of whiskey, tea and jam. The combination of these ingredients allows the fruit to absorb the flavors, resulting in a moist and flavorful cake. Substituting orange juice for whiskey is a viable option that still offers similar benefits.
As you can see, the Hot Toddy Fruitcake not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers various health benefits. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is important to enjoy this delicious treat in moderation.