Treat yourself to the irresistible aroma and delicious taste of hot sugared donuts, a delicious treat perfect for any occasion. These picnic-friendly treats are guaranteed to be devoured in seconds by both kids and adults. With a crispy outer layer coated in a generous amount of sweet sugar, these donuts boast a melt-in-your-mouth texture that will leave you wanting more. Whether it’s a sunny afternoon picnic or a cozy get-together with your loved ones, these heavenly donuts will add a touch of sweetness and cheer to any event. Don’t miss this sensational dessert that is sure to delight everyone!
- 250 g flour
- ½ x 7 g bag of rapid yeast
- 50g golden powdered sugar, plus 50g extra
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 ml milk, warmed
- 50g butter, melted, plus 50g vegetable or sunflower oil for shaping
- 370g jar of raspberry jam
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, mix and make a well in the middle.
- Mix the egg yolk, milk and melted butter, pour into the well and stir with a cutlery knife. The dough will appear wet and rough. Let it rest for 10 minutes, after which it will firm up a little.
- Oil the work surface and your hands, then tip out the dough and knead it until it looks smoother and feels elastic, about 5 minutes. Continue oiling your hands if the dough sticks.
- Let rise in an oiled, covered bowl in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough briefly again, then form walnut-sized balls and place them on baking sheets with enough space between them. Cover again and then let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the dough has risen and no longer springs back when pressed.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the dough has risen and is dark golden. Can be frozen at this point for up to 1 month. Defrost and then reheat in the oven for a few minutes.
- Melt 50g butter in a pan and add 50g sugar to a large bowl.
- Let the donuts cool for a few minutes, then brush them with butter and roll them in the sugar.
- Place a few tablespoons of jam in a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Poke a hole in each donut, then press the nozzle in and squeeze in some jam.
- Best served warm.
Equipment and tools
To make hot sugared donuts you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or fork
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Deep fryer or deep fryer
- Slotted spoon or tongs
- Plate lined with kitchen paper
- Wire frame
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife or donut cutter
The Hot Sugared Donuts Recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from plain flour)
- Eggs (from the yolk)
- Milk (from warmed milk)
- Butter (from the melted butter)
It may also contain traces of nuts if the vegetable or sunflower oil used to form it was processed in a facility that processes nuts.
Storage and leftovers
Hot sugared donuts are best enjoyed fresh and warm. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the donuts in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
Note that reheating may affect the consistency and crispiness of the donuts. Therefore, consume them as fresh as possible.
The Health Benefits of Hot Sugared Donuts
Hot sugared donuts are a delicious treat that is not only delicious but also offers some surprising health benefits. Although donuts are often considered indulgent and high in calories, these delicious treats also have positive properties when enjoyed in moderation.
1. Good source of energy
Donuts made from flour and sugar provide a quick source of energy. The carbohydrates in flour and sugar are converted into glucose, which is the main fuel for our body. This energy boost can be particularly beneficial at breakfast or as a midday snack.
2. Nutritional value
Although donuts are a sweet treat, they can still provide some nutritional value. The simple flour in the dough provides important nutrients such as iron, B vitamins and fiber. In addition, the donuts contain egg yolk, which is rich in protein and healthy fats.
3. Antioxidant boost from raspberry jam
Hot sugared donuts are often filled with raspberry jam, which not only adds flavor but also has some health benefits. Raspberries are full of antioxidants that protect our bodies from cell damage caused by harmful free radicals.
4. Mood enhancer
Enjoying hot, sugary donuts can also have positive effects on mental health. Treating yourself to a delicious, warm donut can lift your mood and provide comfort. The pleasure and satisfaction that comes from eating a donut can contribute to improved mood and overall well-being.
5. Moderation is key
Although hot, sugared donuts may provide some health benefits, it’s important to enjoy them in moderation. As with any luxury food, excessive consumption can lead to weight gain and other health problems. It is advisable to enjoy these treats occasionally as part of a balanced diet.
In conclusion, hot sugared donuts can be more than just a delicious treat. When consumed in moderation, they can be a good source of energy, provide some nutritional value, contribute to a positive mood, and provide an antioxidant boost. So go ahead, grab a hot sugared donut and treat yourself!