With this heavenly twist on the classic bread-and-butter pudding, hot cross buns are something special, and not just at Easter. This delicious dessert is perfect for using up leftover fruit rolls. Treat yourself to the rich flavors of warm spices and tangy lemon that come together to create a harmonious spring casserole.
Let the scent fill your kitchen as the rolls soak up the delicious custard, creating a delicious treat that will satisfy any sweet tooth. Delight in the serendipitous combination of traditional flavors with a refreshing twist that makes this hot cross bread and lemon pudding an irresistible choice.
- Piece of butter for the dish
- 4 stale hot cross buns
- 200g lemon curd
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml cream
- 200 ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- some lemon peel
- Cream or vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Butter a 1-quart baking dish that will hold the rolls.
- Cut each bun into three slices and place them back together with a generous layer of quark.
- Arrange the rolls in the tin.
- Whisk together the egg, cream, milk and remaining quark, then sift into a bowl with the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Pour the mixture over the buns and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the custard to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar and lemon zest over the pudding.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the surface is golden brown and the cream has set slightly.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Equipment and tools
To make this Hot Cross Bread Lemon Pudding recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Piece of butter to grease the mold
This Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (double cream, milk)
- Gluten (Hot Cross Buns)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the pudding to cool completely.
- Place it in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To reheat, you can either heat individual portions in the microwave or place the pudding in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes.
The Health Benefits of Hot Cross Bread and Lemon Pudding
When it comes to treating yourself to a delicious dessert, the last thing you might think of is its health benefits. However, the Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding pleasantly surprises us with its nutritional value. Made with a combination of hot cross buns and lemon curd, this delicious pudding is not only a treat for your taste buds but also offers several health benefits.
1. Rich in antioxidants
The Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding contains lemon curd as one of its main ingredients. Lemons are an excellent source of antioxidants, particularly vitamin C. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause oxidative stress. Consuming foods rich in antioxidants such as: Lemon curd, like lemon curd, can boost your immune system, improve skin health, and even reduce the risk of chronic disease.
2. Good source of protein
Eggs, another key ingredient in this pudding, are a fantastic source of high-quality protein. Protein is essential for various functions in the body, including muscle growth, tissue repair, and the production of enzymes and hormones. Including protein-rich foods in your diet will help you stay full longer, support weight management, and prevent overeating.
3. Provides essential vitamins and minerals
The combination of milk and double cream contained in the pudding provides a good dose of important vitamins and minerals. These dairy products are excellent sources of calcium, which are essential for strong bones and teeth. In addition, they contain other nutrients such as vitamin D, vitamin B12 and potassium, which play an essential role in supporting overall health.
4. Rich in fiber
The hot cross buns used in this recipe add an element of fiber to the pudding. Fiber is known for its digestive-regulating properties, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. In addition, a high-fiber diet has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers.
With its combination of antioxidants, proteins, essential vitamins and minerals, and fiber, Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding proves to be a guilt-free treat that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also support your overall health. Serve with a dollop of cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat (optional).