Want to add some excitement to your traditional mashed potatoes? Our horseradish porridge recipe will impress you! The addition of fresh or creamed horseradish transforms this side dish into a creamy and aromatic experience. Horseradish’s subtle kick adds a delicious warmth to every bite, making it a fantastic accompaniment to hearty stews and casseroles. Refine your meals with this irresistible twist on the classic mashed potatoes!
- 900g King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes
- 50g butter
- 100 ml whipped cream
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh horseradish, ready-grated horseradish from a jar or creamed horseradish
- Cook the whole potatoes in their skins for 30-40 minutes or until tender (time depends on size).
- Drain and peel off the shells.
- Return the potatoes to the pan, cover, and heat gently for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and mash the potatoes with the butter until there are no lumps left.
- Heat 100 ml whipping cream and milk.
- Add the heated cream and milk mixture to the mashed potatoes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of grated fresh horseradish, ready-grated horseradish from a jar or creamed horseradish (for a slightly milder taste).
- Season the mashed potatoes to taste.
Equipment and tools
- potato peeler
- Big pot
- Potato masher
This horseradish porridge recipe contains dairy products (butter, heavy cream, milk). Please exercise caution if you have allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This horseradish porridge can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat in the microwave or on the stove before serving.
The health benefits of horseradish porridge
Horseradish is a pungent root vegetable known for its distinctive flavor and numerous health benefits. When combined with creamy mashed potatoes, it creates a delicious and nutritious side dish known as horseradish porridge. In addition to being a delicious addition to your meals, horseradish porridge offers several health benefits that can support your overall well-being.
1. Immune-boosting properties
Horseradish contains compounds such as isothiocyanates, which have been shown to have powerful antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. These properties can strengthen your immune system and help defend your body against pathogens and reduce the risk of various infections.
2. Respiratory health
The pungent and aromatic compounds found in horseradish are traditionally used to relieve respiratory ailments such as sinus infections and constipation. Consuming horseradish porridge can help clear congested airways, relieve cold symptoms, and make breathing easier.
3. Digestive aid
The enzymes contained in horseradish can aid digestion by stimulating the production of gastric juices. These enzymes can help improve digestion, relieve indigestion, and prevent problems like bloating and constipation.
4. Anti-inflammatory benefits
Horseradish contains compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. Regular consumption of horseradish porridge can help reduce inflammation in the body, which may play a role in relieving the symptoms of inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
5. Nutritional value
Horseradish is a nutrient-dense vegetable rich in essential vitamins and minerals. It is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, magnesium and antioxidants. Adding horseradish to your mashed potatoes can boost their nutritional content and provide you with a more balanced and nutritious meal.
So next time you make mashed potatoes, consider using horseradish to give it an extra burst of flavor and provide a range of health benefits. Whether you use fresh horseradish, pre-grated jarred horseradish, or creamed horseradish, horseradish puree is a versatile and nutritious side dish worth trying.