Introducing our delicious Honey Saffron Christmas Cake – the perfect festive treat that captures the essence of Christmas without overwhelming your taste buds. This delicious creation combines the warm and aromatic flavors of saffron and honey to produce a cake that smells wonderful and is incredibly light on the tongue. The best part is that our recipe is designed for last minute preparations when time is of the essence. Whether you’re looking to impress your guests or just satisfy your holiday cravings, this Honey Saffron Christmas Cake is sure to be the ultimate centerpiece at your table.
- 225g butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 2 tbsp brandy
- a pinch of saffron (approx. 1-4 teaspoons of saffron)
- 225g golden powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 300g raisins
- 300g sultanas
- 100 g natural colored glazed cherries, halved
- 85g mixed peel
- 50 g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 50 g whole, blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g walnut pieces
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp honey
If you like a lighter cake this Christmas, then my honey saffron cake is perfect for you. It’s still full of fruit and nuts, but instead of being heavy with treacle and spices, there’s golden sugar and delicate saffron that shine through in the amber color and fragrant flavor. Honey and saffron are natural partners, so I dipped it in a luscious honey syrup too! If you want a more intense flavor, you can repeat the soaking portion of the recipe two more times.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Butter a round, 20 cm high cake tin and line it with two layers of baking paper.
- Tie a few sheets of newspaper around the outside of the pan until they line up with the top edge of the parchment paper.
- Heat the brandy in a small pan, then add the saffron and leave to simmer off the heat for a few minutes.
- Put butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until creamy and smooth.
- Mix the fruit, nuts and brandy-saffron mixture into the batter and mix well.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan, smooth the top and make a slight depression in the middle.
- Bake for 1½ hours, then cover loosely with foil to prevent the top from browning too much.
- Turn the oven down to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas 1 and cook for another hour, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the tin and then, while the cake is still warm, pierce it all over with a skewer.
- Mix the brandy and honey together and spoon over the cake.
- Wrap well in foil and store in an airtight container until Christmas, adding a little honey brandy from time to time.
Equipment and tools
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- 23cm round cake tin
- baking paper
- Cooking spray or additional butter for greasing
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife or food processor for chopping nuts
- Small pot
- Pastry brush
This honey saffron Christmas cake contains the following allergens:
- Flour (wheat)
- Mixed bowl
- Blanched almonds
- Blanched hazelnuts
Storage and leftovers
Once the honey saffron Christmas cake has cooled, store it in an airtight container or wrap it in cling film. It will stay fresh for up to a week at room temperature. If you wish, you can also store it in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life. Leftovers can be enjoyed as a snack or dessert for several days.
The Health Benefits of Honey Saffron Christmas Cake
If you are looking for a lighter option for your Christmas cake, you must try the Honey Saffron Christmas Cake. Not only is it rich in flavor but it also offers several health benefits.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Saffron, one of the main ingredients in this cake, is full of antioxidants. These compounds help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals, reduce the risk of chronic disease, and promote overall health.
2. Strengthens immunity
Honey is known for its immune-boosting properties. It contains antioxidants, antibacterial compounds, and vitamins that can boost your immune system and fight off infections.
3. Nutrient rich
This Christmas cake is full of nutritious ingredients such as ground almonds, raisins, sultanas, cherries and mixed peels. These ingredients provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber that support optimal health and well-being.
4. Support heart health
Walnuts, hazelnuts and blanched almonds in this cake are heart-healthy nuts. They’re rich in healthy fats, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants that can help lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and improve heart health.
5. Natural energy boost
The golden powdered sugar and honey used in this cake provide a natural energy boost. They are rich in carbohydrates, which are essential for maintaining energy levels throughout the day.
6. Mood-boosting properties
Saffron is traditionally used as a mood enhancer. It contains compounds that may help relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety and promote positive mood.
So this Christmas, treat yourself to a piece of Honey Saffron Christmas Cake and enjoy not only its delicious taste but also its numerous health benefits!