Introducing our irresistible homemade hummus with pitta chips! This classic and popular recipe is a must for hummus lovers of all ages. With its creamy texture and delicious flavors, it’s no wonder this dip is a healthy snack option. Our homemade hummus is made with love and healthy ingredients and is perfect for storing in the fridge, so you always have a nutritious and convenient option on hand. Whether you’re entertaining guests or just want a guilt-free treat, this homemade hummus with crispy pitta chips is always a winner!
- 3 flatbreads
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Juice 1 lemon
Over the years, Humous seems to have done this
become a staple food for children. There are plenty
Versions are now commercially available, but it is
really easy to make, costs very little and
You can make sure it contains little salt (some).
store-bought varieties are full of them). Goes well with vegetables
sticky, but I rather like this crispy pitta
Chips that are a great alternative to chips.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Cut each pitta in half to create two really thin pieces of bread.
- Cut the pitta into strips or wedges.
- Lightly grease a flat baking tray or tray.
- Arrange the pita slices on the greased tray or tray.
- Cook the pita slices in the oven for 10 minutes until crispy.
- Allow the pita slices to cool.
- Store the cooled pitta chips in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- To make the hummus, rinse the chickpeas and place them in a food processor.
- Add all remaining ingredients and 3 tablespoons cold water to the food processor.
- Mix the ingredients in the food processor.
- Add about a tablespoon of water at a time until it forms a smooth, spoonable paste.
- Place the hummus in a bowl and serve.
- Store leftover hummus in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Equipment and tools
To make homemade hummus with pitta chips, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Food processor or blender
- Brush or spoon for oil
- Sharp knife
- mixing bowl
This homemade hummus with pita chips recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from flatbread)
If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please check the ingredients list and make substitutions if necessary.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from your homemade hummus with pitta chips, follow these storage instructions:
- Store the hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The hummus can be kept for up to 3-4 days.
- The pitta chips can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Before serving remaining hummus, stir and adjust seasonings if necessary.
The Health Benefits of Homemade Hummus with Pitta Chips
Hummus is a versatile and delicious dish that has grown in popularity over the years. Traditionally made with chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, garlic and lemon juice, hummus is not only delicious but also offers numerous health benefits. Combined with crispy pitta chips, it becomes a filling and nutritious snack.
1. Nutritional powerhouse
Chickpeas, the main ingredient in hummus, are a rich source of plant-based protein and fiber. They are also packed with essential minerals like iron, calcium and magnesium. These nutrients promote healthy digestion, support muscle strength and contribute to overall well-being.
2. Heart-healthy olive oil
Adding olive oil to homemade hummus increases its flavor and health benefits. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which are known to reduce the risk of heart disease. It also contains antioxidants that protect against cell damage and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Immune-boosting garlic
The garlic clove used in this recipe not only provides a flavor kick but also has immune-boosting properties. Garlic is rich in compounds that can help fight off infections and lower blood pressure. It is also believed to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, contributing to a stronger immune system.
4. Digestive aid
Cumin, a spice commonly found in hummus, has been used for centuries to aid digestion. It contains compounds that stimulate the production of digestive enzymes and may help prevent gas and bloating. Additionally, cumin is full of antioxidants that promote overall gut health.
5. Vitamin C boost
Using lemon juice in homemade hummus provides a refreshing burst of flavor and a vitamin C boost. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that supports a healthy immune system, supports collagen production and acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage.
6. Little salt
When you make hummus at home, you have control over the amount of salt added. Store-bought versions often contain too much salt, which can be harmful to your health. By reducing salt content, you can enjoy a healthier snack without compromising on taste.
So next time you’re looking for a nutritious and delicious snack, consider making homemade hummus with pitta chips. Not only will you enjoy a soothing treat, but you will also benefit from the many health benefits that hummus has to offer.