Experience a flavor explosion with our delicious herb rice recipe with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi. This delicious dish features a delicious mix of fried onions, colorful peppers, tender zucchini and perfectly toasted pieces of halloumi cheese on a bed of nutritious brown rice.
But what really elevates this dish is the addition of a tantalizing parsley pesto, which gives the rice a fragrant and vibrant touch. Packed with healthy ingredients, this vegetarian dinner is not only filling but also incredibly nutritious. Try this recipe today and treat yourself to a hearty and healthy meal that will leave you wanting more!
- 2 red onions, cut into coarse wedges
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (we used green, red, and yellow)
- 3 zucchini (approx. 600 g), cut into sticks
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g brown basmati rice
- small packet of flat-leaf parsley
- 85g cashew nuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g halloumi, cut into large cubes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the red onions, peppers and zucchini in a large roasting pan.
- Toss the vegetables in 2 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- If there is not enough space, use two roasting pans.
- Place the dish(s) in the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, the vegetables should be tender and starting to turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Combine parsley, cashews, remaining oil, garlic and spices in a blender or food processor.
- Mix the ingredients until you get a pesto-like consistency.
- Add the chickpeas and halloumi to the roasted vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork.
- Mix the parsley pesto into the rice.
- Pour the vegetable mixture over the herb rice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
This recipe for herbed rice with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi may contain allergens.
- Halloumi – Contains dairy products
- Cashews – May contain nuts
It is important to check the specific packaging of the ingredients you use to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs. If you have any concerns or allergies, please consult a doctor.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this herbed rice with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi recipe, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in the microwave or gently heat in a pot until heated through.
Note: The texture of the dish may change slightly when reheated, but it will still be delicious!
Health benefits of herb rice with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi
Herb rice with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi is not only a delicious and filling dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the key ingredients and how they contribute to a nutritious meal:
1. Red onions
Red onions become sweet and caramelized when roasted and give the dish a special flavor. Additionally, they are rich in antioxidants, particularly quercetin, which can help reduce inflammation and support a healthy immune system.
Bell peppers, whether green, red or yellow, are rich in vitamin C, an essential nutrient that supports collagen production and strengthens the immune system. They also contain various antioxidants that contribute to overall health and well-being.
Zucchini, also known as zucchini, are low in calories but have high nutritional value. They provide important vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin C. They are also an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
4. Olive oil
Using olive oil in this recipe brings healthy unsaturated fats to the table. These fats have been linked to numerous health benefits, including reducing the risk of heart disease and inflammation.
5. Brown basmati rice
Brown basmati rice is a whole grain that retains the outer bran layer, making it a more nutrient-dense option compared to white rice. It is a good source of fiber, minerals and vitamins, including manganese and B vitamins.
6. Flat leaf parsley
Packed with vitamins A, C and K, flat-leaf parsley not only adds freshness to the dish but also contributes to its nutritional profile. Parsley is also known for its potential antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Not only do cashews provide a delicious crunch, but they also offer a number of health benefits. They contain healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins, minerals and proteins. Cashews have been linked to promoting heart health and aiding in weight control.
Garlic not only improves the taste of the dish but also offers various potential health benefits. It contains a compound called allicin, which is known for its antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties.
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, fiber and essential minerals. They can help promote satiety, regulate blood sugar levels, and support digestive health.
Halloumi, a semi-hard cheese made from sheep’s milk, gives the dish a savory touch. Although it contains more sodium, it is also a good source of calcium and protein.
Combining these healthy ingredients, herbed rice with roasted vegetables, chickpeas and halloumi creates a well-rounded meal that is both delicious and nutritious.