Enjoy a bowl of filling vegetable stew with dumplings, a perfect dish to warm up on cold winter nights. Made with a mix of fresh and hearty vegetables, this stew is packed with flavor and nutrients. The soft and fluffy dumplings add a delicious texture to every bite. Whether you’re looking for a cozy dinner or a healthy meal for the whole family, this recipe is perfect. Serve with a side of creamy mashed potatoes for the ultimate comfort food treat.
- 25 g butter, plus a little more
- 300 g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced diagonally into thick slices
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300 ml vegetable broth
- 400 g can of cream of mushroom soup
- large handful of parsley, chopped
- puree, serve
- 150g self-raising flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 70g vegetable suet
- Melt the butter in a deep, ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat
- Fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until they begin to brown
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the leeks and carrots
- Add another knob of butter if the pan looks dry
- Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften
- Add garlic, thyme and a large pinch each of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook for 3-4 minutes more to combine
- Stir in flour
- Pour in the broth and stir until well combined
- Pour in the mushroom soup
- Stir and simmer over low heat
- Pay attention to spices
- Let simmer for another 10 minutes
- Make the dumplings by putting the flour in a bowl with ½ teaspoon salt
- Stir in the suet
- Make a well in the center
- Add 3 tablespoons cold water and mix until a dough forms
- Add a little more water if necessary until the dough is firm but smooth
- Divide into eight equal pieces
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a ball
- Distribute the dumplings evenly over the stew
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes
- Stir occasionally
- Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes of cooking time
- Stir in parsley
- Serve with porridge
Equipment and tools
To prepare this hearty vegetable stew with dumplings, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Sharp knife
- Sieve or sieve
- measuring spoon
- mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- baking pan
This recipe for hearty vegetable stew with dumplings contains the following allergens:
- wheat flour
- Tallow (may contain wheat)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftovers from this hearty vegetable stew with dumplings, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to reheat, simply reheat the stew on the stove over medium-high heat until warmed through. When heated, the dumplings lose some of their consistency, but they are still delicious.
Health benefits of hearty vegetable stew with dumplings
When it comes to comforting and nutritious meals, it’s hard to beat a hearty vegetable stew with dumplings. Not only does it warm you from the inside out, but it also offers a range of health benefits thanks to its nutrient-rich ingredients. Let’s explore the nutritional value of this delicious dish:
1. Mushrooms for Immune System Health:
This recipe contains 300g of chestnut mushrooms, which not only add a rich, earthy flavor but also provide a range of health benefits. Mushrooms are a great source of nutrients like selenium, copper and B vitamins. They also contain beta-glucans, which have immune-boosting properties and help support your body’s natural defense system.
2. Leeks for Heart Health:
The coarsely chopped leeks in this stew not only provide a mild, onion-like flavor, but also contribute to your heart health. Leeks are rich in heart-healthy compounds such as antioxidants and flavonoids, which may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. They’re also a great source of fiber, which can support healthy cholesterol levels.
3. Carrots for Eye Health:
Thickly sliced carrots not only look visually appealing, but are also full of important nutrients that have a positive effect on eyesight. Carrots are particularly known for their high beta-carotene content, which the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A plays an important role in maintaining good eye health and can help prevent conditions such as night blindness and age-related macular degeneration.
4. Garlic for Immunity and Anti-inflammatory Effects:
The finely chopped garlic cloves in this stew not only add flavor to this stew but also provide several health benefits. Garlic is widely known for its immune-boosting properties thanks to its high content of sulfur-containing compounds such as allicin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic disease and promote overall well-being.
5. Parsley for General Health and Wellness:
The large handful of chopped parsley used as a garnish in this recipe not only adds a fresh green touch, but also offers a number of health benefits. Parsley is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and iron. These nutrients help support the immune system, bone health and overall vitality.
6. Dumplings for a full feeling of well-being:
The dumplings in this stew made from self-raising flour and vegetable suet give the dish a delicious texture and make it even more filling. Although dumplings aren’t necessarily associated with any particular health benefits, they add to the overall enjoyment of a well-rounded meal, providing comfort and keeping you feeling full and satisfied.
In summary, this hearty vegetable stew with dumplings is not only a delicious and comforting meal, but also offers a variety of health benefits. From immune-boosting mushrooms to heart-healthy leeks to eye-nourishing carrots, every ingredient helps support your well-being. So next time you are looking for a nutritious and tasty dish, try this recipe and enjoy its goodness!