A classic stew is the easy solution for weeknight cooking. Our hearty lamb stew is the perfect choice with its rich flavors and beneficial properties. This delicious dish is not only hearty and filling, but also warming on a chilly evening. Packed with nutritious vegetables, it’s a healthy meal that will satisfy everyone at the table. Whether you like lamb or are just looking for a hearty stew, this recipe is a must-try. So gather your ingredients and prepare to enjoy a bowl full of deliciousness!
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g diced braised lamb
- 1 onion, cut into thick slices
- 2 carrots, cut into thick slices
- 2 leeks, cut into thick slices
- 400 ml hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 fresh sprig
- 400g cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- crusty bread or boiled potatoes for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the lamb and cook for 5 minutes until the liquid has disappeared.
- Add onions, carrots and leeks.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour the broth over it.
- Add the rosemary.
- Cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans.
- Let it cook for another 30 minutes, topping up with water if necessary.
- Continue cooking until the lamb is tender and cooked through.
- Serve with some crusty bread or potatoes if desired.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this hearty lamb stew, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large pot or Dutch oven
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A wooden spoon or spatula
This lamb stew recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- This recipe contains meat and is not suitable for vegetarians.
- It may contain traces of gluten when served with crusty bread.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the stew to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer remaining stew to an airtight container.
- Store the stew in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, gently warm the stew on the stove or in the microwave.
Health Benefits of Hearty Lamb Stew
Health Benefits of Hearty Lamb Stew
Lamb stew is a delicious and comforting dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also provides various health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this hearty lamb stew provides a healthy meal that is both filling and nutritious.
1. Protein-rich braised lamb
The braised lamb used in this recipe serves as an excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is essential for the growth, repair, and maintenance of various tissues in our body, including muscles, skin, and organs. It also plays a crucial role in supporting a healthy immune system and promoting overall well-being.
2. Nutrient-rich vegetables
Adding onions, carrots and leeks to the stew adds to its nutritional value. This vegetable is rich in important vitamins, minerals and fiber. For example, onions are rich in antioxidants and can help lower cholesterol levels. Carrots are a great source of vitamin A, which has positive effects on eye health, while leeks provide important vitamins such as vitamin K and vitamin C.
3. Advantageous inventory
The hot vegetable or chicken broth used in lamb stew not only enhances the flavor but also provides various health benefits. It provides additional nutrients and can help hydrate the body. Chicken broth in particular can support bone health due to its collagen content.
4. Rosemary for an antioxidant boost
Adding dried rosemary or a fresh sprig to the stew gives the stew a wonderful aroma and taste, but also provides antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect our cells from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic disease.
5. High-fiber cannellini beans
Cannellini beans, a type of white kidney beans, are a valuable addition to lamb stew. These legumes are an excellent source of fiber, which promotes a healthy digestive system, provides a feeling of satiety and can help with weight control. They also offer a good amount of plant-based protein as well as various vitamins and minerals.
6. Recommended serving options
To make your hearty lamb stew even tastier, you can serve it with either crusty bread or boiled potatoes. Although these additions are optional, they can add an extra element of indulgence to the meal and provide a source of carbohydrates for energy.
Overall, this hearty lamb stew is not only a delicious dish but also a nutritious choice. With its combination of protein-rich lamb, nutrient-dense vegetables, flavorful broth, antioxidant-rich rosemary, and fiber-rich beans, this stew provides a well-rounded meal that promotes health.