Enjoy the delicious flavors of our hazelnut fruit cake, a perfect mix of excess zucchini and apples. This delicious treat harnesses the bounty of nature’s harvest and offers a moist and nutty treat. With every bite you will experience a symphony of textures and the subtle sweetness of hazelnuts. Our hazelnut fruit cake goes perfectly with a warm cup of tea and creates a cozy and soothing combination. Immerse yourself in this unique creation that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also minimize food waste. Go for sustainability while enjoying the irresistible flavors of this Glut and Nut cake!
- 225g soft, unsalted butter, plus a little extra for the tin
- 100g bag of blanched hazelnuts, half very coarsely chopped
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp mixed spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 175g zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 apple, grated (approx. 85 g pulp)
- 250g mixed dried fruits
Zucchini can retain quite a bit of water, which can affect the finished consistency of your cake. If your grated zucchini seems watery, place them in a clean cloth and wring out some of the liquid in a bowl. Then add the zucchini to the cake mixture as usual. The timing of making zucchini cakes may depend on the water content of your zucchini. Therefore, if necessary, place the cake in the oven for another 10-20 minutes. Just test it with a skewer and make sure it comes out clean.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a deep, round cake tin with a diameter of 20 cm and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- In a food processor, mix the whole hazelnuts, 1 tablespoon each of sugar and flour. Stir until the hazelnuts are finely ground.
- Add butter, remaining sugar and eggs to food processor. Then add vanilla, spices, ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining flour and baking powder. Stir everything until smooth.
- Remove the knife from the food processor and stir in the grated zucchini, apples and dried fruit.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and smooth the top. Scatter the chopped hazelnuts over the dough and press them down lightly.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, after 45 minutes cover the top loosely with foil. The cake should be risen and golden brown.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the hazelnut fruit cake you need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer or stand mixer
- 23 cm (9 inch) round cake tin
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Sharp knife
- Clean cloth (optional, for wringing out zucchini)
The hazelnut fruit cake contains the following allergens:
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not listed. It is important to check the labels of all ingredients used.
Storage and leftovers
Once the hazelnut fruit cake is baked and cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months.
If you have leftovers, you can wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Health Benefits of Hazelnut Fruit Cake
The hazelnut fruit cake not only satisfies your taste buds with its rich, nutty flavor but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this cake can be a delicious yet nutritious addition to your diet. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of hazelnut fruit cake:
1. Nutritional powerhouse
Hazelnuts, the main ingredient in this fruit cake, are an excellent source of nutrients. They are packed with healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants and important vitamins and minerals. Hazelnuts contain a good dose of vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant and protects cells from damage caused by free radicals.
2. Heart-healthy ingredients
The hazelnut fruit cake contains unsalted butter, which is a healthier choice compared to salted or processed butter. Hazelnuts are rich in monounsaturated fats and may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. In addition, their high potassium content promotes healthy blood pressure.
3. Fiber-rich goodness
This fruit cake contains self-raising flour, zucchini and apples, all of which provide a good amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps control blood sugar levels, promotes satiety and supports weight management.
4. Antioxidant boost
The mixed dried fruits in the hazelnut fruit cake are not only a delicious addition, but also a great source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative diseases.
5. Vitamin and mineral content
In addition to hazelnuts, this fruit cake contains light muscovado sugar, eggs and vanilla extract, which together contribute to the cake’s vitamin and mineral content. These ingredients provide essential nutrients such as vitamin B6, vitamin C, potassium and magnesium and support various body functions including immune health and energy production.
With its healthy ingredients and numerous health benefits, you can enjoy hazelnut fruit cake guilt-free, knowing that it will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also nourish your body.