The Harissa Chicken with Couscous recipe is a fantastic option if you’re looking for a quick, tasty meal. Don’t worry if you don’t have chickpeas on hand because you can easily substitute them with cannellini or kidney beans. The dish consists of juicy chicken covered in a tantalizing harissa paste glaze. The fragrant coriander couscous adds a delicious touch. With its spicy yet balanced flavors, this recipe is sure to impress your taste buds. A must for anyone looking for a satisfying and stress-free dinner.
- 25g butter
- 3 tbsp harissa
- 3 tbsp honey
- ½ lemon, grated and juiced
- 8 chicken thighs with skin and bones
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 300 ml chicken broth
- 200g couscous
- small packet of coriander, roughly chopped
- 400 g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- In a small pan, melt butter, harissa, honey and lemon juice.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and pour the harissa mixture over it.
- Roast for 45-50 minutes, basting with harissa every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions over medium heat for 8-10 minutes to soften.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil.
- Add the couscous and turn off the heat.
- Put the lid on and let stand for 4-5 minutes until the couscous has absorbed the broth.
- Stir in coriander, chickpeas and lemon zest.
- Serve the chicken on the couscous.
- Pour the juice from the chicken over it.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking pan
- mixing bowl
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Butter: dairy products
- Chicken broth: May contain allergens. Please see the label for details
- Couscous: wheat
- Chickpeas: may contain allergens, please see label for details
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, make sure the chicken is cooked through and piping hot. It is not recommended to freeze the leftovers.
The Health Benefits of Harissa Sticky Chicken with Couscous
Harissa sticky chicken with couscous is a delicious and aromatic dish that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. Packed with a combination of nutritious ingredients, this recipe provides a well-rounded meal that can contribute to your overall well-being.
1. Chicken thighs
The recipe calls for skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, which are an excellent source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and supporting a healthy immune system. Chicken legs also contain important vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, zinc and iron.
Harissa is a spicy chili paste made from a mixture of peppers, spices and herbs. It adds a fiery touch to the dish but also offers several health benefits. The main ingredient, chili peppers, contains capsaicin, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Additionally, chili peppers are rich in vitamins A and C, which support a strong immune system.
Honey serves as a natural sweetener in this recipe and offers various health benefits. It is an antioxidant powerhouse and has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for coughs, colds and allergies. Honey also contains antibacterial properties and can soothe sore throats.
Lemon zest and juice give the dish a tangy taste while providing a dose of vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for collagen synthesis, promotes healthy skin and supports the immune system.
Couscous is a type of grain made from semolina. It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, which are a great source of energy for the body. Couscous is also low in fat and contains fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and helps with weight control.
Coriander, also known as cilantro, is an herb that gives the dish a fresh and aromatic taste. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as antioxidants that help fight inflammation and promote healthy skin.
The addition of chickpeas not only adds texture to the dish but also increases the nutritional value. Chickpeas are an excellent source of plant protein, fiber and essential minerals such as iron and manganese. They can contribute to improved digestion, weight control and heart health.
In summary, this Harissa Sticky Chicken with Couscous recipe offers a combination of delicious flavors and impressive health benefits. From the protein-rich chicken thighs to the immune-boosting properties of harissa and lemon, each ingredient helps promote overall wellness. So enjoy this tasty dish and nourish your body at the same time!