Treat yourself to the irresistible taste of our delicious ham, hook and pistachio roll. With every bite you will experience a perfect mix of juicy pork and crunchy pistachios. This exquisite delicacy is a real treat for pork lovers and offers an incomparable taste experience.
Please note that this recipe contains pork and is specifically designed for consumption by non-Muslims. We promote diversity in culinary experiences and offer a wide range of recipes suitable for different dietary preferences.
- 2 smoked ham hocks (about 3 kg in total)
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek top, if using, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 cloves
- 1 allspice berry
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, plus a splash
- small packet of parsley, leaves chopped, stalks set aside
- 80 g peeled and roasted pistachios
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 shallot, cut into thin rings
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 40g bag of pork schnitzel, slightly chopped
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil, plus some for brushing (optional)
- Place the ham hocks in a large pan.
- Add all ingredients except the chopped parsley and pistachios.
- Cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the shanks from the liquid and reserve 100 ml.
- Leave the hocks until they are just cool enough to handle.
- Remove the meat from the bone and place in another bowl.
- Remove skin, large pieces of fat, cartilage or gristle.
- Add pistachios, chopped parsley and 100 ml ham stock to the bowl.
- Add another dash of vinegar.
- Mash everything together with your fingers to combine.
- Place overlapping pieces of plastic wrap on a clean work surface.
- Stack the mixture along the bottom length of the plastic wrap.
- Leave about 10cm free on each side.
- Roll the ham in the plastic wrap into a large, firm sausage shape.
- Pierce once or twice with a skewer to release any air.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- For the dressing, mix mustard and vinegar in a bowl.
- Slowly stir in the oil until an emulsion forms.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle if necessary.
- Use a small melon baller to cut out apple balls.
- Place the apple balls in a bowl with vinegar.
- Add shallot rings and let marinate for a few minutes.
- To serve, cut the ham roll diagonally into slices about 2 cm thick.
- Peel off the cling film from the slices.
- Place the slices on plates and brush with a little rapeseed oil to make them shine.
- Draw a thin line of watercress on the plate.
- Arrange three apple balls and a few shallot rings along the watercress.
- Sprinkle with scraps.
- Dab the plate with dollops of dressing.
- Serve the rest of the dressing as a side dish.
Ham hook pistachio roll
Ham hook pistachio roll
Equipment and tools
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- parchment paper
- food processor
- mixing bowl
- Pastry brush (optional)
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, the ham roll can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
The health benefits of the Ham Hock & Pistachio Roll recipe come from its nutritious ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits that consuming this dish can bring.
1. Smoked Ham Shank: Smoked Ham Shank is a rich source of protein that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue. Protein also helps maintain satiety and supports the growth and development of muscles, bones and skin.
2. Carrots: Carrots are packed with beta-carotene, a type of antioxidant that the body converts into vitamin A. Consuming carrots promotes healthy vision, supports immune function, and may reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
3. Onions: Onions are low in calories and a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They contain antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation, lower blood sugar levels, and improve heart health.
4. Leeks: Leeks are in the same family as onions and garlic and offer similar health benefits. They are a good source of vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and manganese. Leeks also contain flavonoids, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Celery: Celery is a low-calorie vegetable that provides fiber, vitamins and minerals. It is known for its high water content and can help promote hydration. Celery also contains antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
6. Bay Leaves: Bay leaves not only add flavor to the dish but also provide various health benefits. They contain essential oils with antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Bay leaves can help improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and support cardiovascular health.
7. Thyme: Thyme is rich in antioxidants that protect the body from free radicals. It also contains vitamins A and C and iron, which are important for immune function and red blood cell production.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is praised for its potential health benefits. It can aid digestion, control blood sugar levels, promote weight loss and support heart health.
9. Pistachios: Pistachios are nutrient-dense nuts that provide healthy fats, protein, fiber, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Known for their high antioxidant content, they can help lower cholesterol and improve heart health.
10. Granny Smith Apples: Granny Smith apples are a good source of fiber and vitamin C. They contain antioxidants that support immune function and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
11. Shallot: Shallots are part of the onion family and have a similar nutritional profile. They are low in calories and a good source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
12. Pork Schnitzels: Although pork schnitzels are a high-calorie snack, they provide a good amount of protein. However, due to their high fat and sodium content, they should be consumed in moderation.
13. English Mustard: Mustard is a low-calorie condiment that can add flavor to dishes without adding many calories. Mustard seeds are a good source of minerals and antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
14. Extra Virgin Canola Oil: Extra virgin canola oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and contains omega-3 fatty acids. It is a healthier alternative to other cooking oils and may help lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation and support heart health.
By incorporating these ingredients into your diet through the Ham Hock & Pistachio Roll recipe, you can enjoy a dish that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits.