Add the rich flavor of halloumi to the pasta along with olives, zucchini and tomatoes to create a delicious dish. The combination of the savory saltiness of halloumi paired with the freshness of the vegetables makes for a truly delicious experience. Since it’s a cheese with a high salt content, a little halloumi can add a flavor explosion. With this recipe you can enjoy the special properties of halloumi while enjoying the soothing deliciousness of pasta. Treat yourself to the rich flavor of this halloumi pasta dish today!
- 250g wholemeal penne
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 120g halloumi, halved through the seam and cut into cubes
- 325 g small vine tomatoes, halved
- 320g zucchini, cut into cubes
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely grated
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 6 pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 g parsley, chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the halloumi, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 minutes.
- Place the fried halloumi on a plate.
- Cook the tomatoes in the pan for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Add the cooked tomatoes to the bowl of halloumi.
- Add the zucchini and garlic to the pan and fry briefly.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir in the olives and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce.
- Add parsley, halloumi and small plum tomatoes to the pasta.
- Serve half immediately.
- Leave the rest for another day.
- Store covered and refrigerated for up to three days.
- Heat in a pan with a splash of water over medium heat until piping hot.
Equipment and tools
For this halloumi pasta recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cooking pot
- frying pan
- cutting board
- tin opener
This halloumi pasta recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- Dairy products: The recipe contains halloumi cheese.
- Gluten: Whole wheat penne contains gluten.
- Olives: Kalamata olives may cause allergic reactions in some people.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover halloumi noodles, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before storing.
- Place the pasta in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Warm up thoroughly before consumption.
Health Benefits of Halloumi Pasta
When it comes to a delicious and healthy pasta dish, halloumi pasta ticks all the boxes. Packed with nutritious ingredients and full of flavor, this recipe is a perfect addition to your diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits offered by the main ingredients in this recipe.
Whole wheat penne
The main pasta ingredient in this recipe is whole wheat penne. Unlike refined white pasta, whole-wheat penne retains the bran and germ, making it an excellent source of fiber. Fiber supports digestion, helps regulate blood sugar levels and can help control weight.
Using just a teaspoon of canola oil, this recipe keeps the amount of added fats to a minimum. Canola oil is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are vital to our bodies. These beneficial fats help reduce inflammation, support brain health, and promote overall wellness.
The star of the dish, halloumi, is an aromatic cheese that gives the pasta a unique texture. Although halloumi is relatively high in saturated fat, it is also a good source of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair, while calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth.
Baby plum tomatoes
Baby plum tomatoes not only enhance the dish’s bright colors but also add to its nutritional value. These tomatoes are rich in antioxidants, particularly lycopene, which has been linked to a reduced risk of certain types of cancer and heart disease.
Zucchini or courgettes are low in calories and full of vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system, and vitamin A, which is essential for good vision. In addition, zucchini provides fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
Although garlic adds a delicious flavor to this dish, it also offers various health benefits. Garlic contains sulfur compounds that have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. When taken regularly, it can also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The addition of Kalamata olives not only enhances the taste, but also provides valuable nutrients. Olives are a good source of monounsaturated fats, which have positive effects on heart health. In addition, they contain antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
In addition to being an aromatic herb, dried oregano offers several health benefits. It contains compounds with antimicrobial properties and is an excellent source of antioxidants. Oregano may also have anti-inflammatory effects and possibly aid digestion.
The dish is rounded off with parsley, which not only provides a fresh taste but also provides valuable nutrients. Parsley is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as iron and folic acid. It’s also packed with antioxidants that support overall health and wellness.