Crispy and slightly salty shallow fried halloumi fries are an absolute delight for your taste buds. Not only are these delicious treats perfect for parties, but they are also an excellent choice for any occasion. Combining the rich za’atar spice blend with a hint of spiciness in the yogurt dip takes the flavors to a whole new level of deliciousness. You’ll devour every bite of these irresistible halloumi fries. So, gather your friends and get ready to enjoy this popular party food!
- 170g cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, peeled, then cut into wedges for squeezing
- 1 tbsp rose harissa
- 3 tablespoons za’atar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g flour
- 2 x 250g blocks of halloumi, cut into chips
- oil for frying
- Handful of mint, leaves torn
- Mix the yogurt with the lemon zest and some spices.
- Toss through the harissa to create hot and cool spots in the dip.
- Stir the za’atar into the flour on a plate.
- Roll the halloumi in the mixture so that it is evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a shallow, heavy-bottomed pan or baking dish until it reaches 180°C on a cooking thermometer or until a piece of bread browns in 20 seconds.
- Carefully dip the halloumi in portions into the oil.
- Cook until crispy and golden brown, 2 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with mint and za’atar.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Serve with the spicy yoghurt for dipping.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (Greek yogurt and halloumi)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the fries in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 5-10 minutes or until heated through. However, for optimal taste and texture, it is best to consume the fries fresh.
Health Benefits of Halloumi Fries
If you want to treat yourself to a crunchy and flavorful treat, halloumi fries are an excellent choice. Not only do they satisfy your craving for something savory, but they also offer various health benefits that make them a surprisingly nutritious option.
1. Good source of protein
One of the notable health benefits of halloumi fries is their high protein content. Halloumi is a semi-hard cheese that comes from Cyprus and is made primarily from sheep’s milk. Each 250g block of halloumi used in this recipe provides a significant amount of protein. Consuming enough protein is important for muscle growth, repair and maintenance, which is why halloumi fries are a good choice for people looking to increase their protein intake.
2. Rich in calcium
Halloumi is also a good source of calcium, a mineral essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Eating calcium-rich foods like halloumi fries can help prevent conditions like osteoporosis and promote overall bone health.
3. Contains beneficial probiotics
Greek yogurt, a key ingredient in the accompanying sauce, is made by fermenting milk with probiotic bacteria. These beneficial bacteria can support a healthy gut by promoting the growth of good bacteria, aiding digestion, and improving nutrient absorption. Incorporating Greek yogurt into your halloumi fries recipe not only provides a creamy and tangy taste, but also provides probiotics that support your gut health.
4. Packed with aromatic herbs
This recipe contains a variety of herbs like rose harissa, za’atar, and mint, which not only add depth and complexity to the flavor, but also bring their own health benefits. Rose Harissa contains capsaicin, a compound that may boost metabolism and help with weight control. Za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend, is rich in antioxidants that may help reduce oxidative stress in the body. Mint, on the other hand, is known for its calming and digestive properties.
5. Suitable for some dietary restrictions
Another benefit of halloumi fries is that they accommodate certain dietary restrictions. Halloumi cheese is naturally low in lactose and is therefore easier to digest for those with lactose intolerance. Additionally, this recipe uses plain flour instead of wheat, making it suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
In summary, halloumi fries are not only a delicious and filling snack option, but they also come with a number of health benefits. These fries are a good source of protein and calcium and contain probiotics and aromatic herbs. They’re a nutritious choice that you can enjoy guilt-free.