We present to you our delicious and super healthy recipe: Haddock fillets rubbed with spices on orange and parsley couscous. Discover the perfect combination of tender haddock fillets enriched with a tantalizing blend of aromatic spices that will awaken your taste buds. Served on a bed of fluffy and bright orange parsley couscous, this dish is a delicious harmony of flavors. Full of nutritious goodness, our recipe has been carefully crafted to ensure low salt levels for guilt-free enjoyment. Get ready to experience a burst of flavor and nutrition in every bite of this irresistible creation!
- 4×175-200g/6-7oz haddock fillets
- 2 tbsp Ras-El-Hanout spice mix
- 400g couscous
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 50g sultanas
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 large orange
- small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to fan oven 170°C/bottom heat 190°C/gas 5.
- Rub the haddock fillets with the spice mixture and set aside.
- Place the couscous in a large heatproof bowl.
- Pour 500 ml of boiling water over it and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and lightly fry the onion for 5 minutes, until soft and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in pine nuts and sultanas.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Add onion mixture, orange zest and juice, and half the parsley.
- Mix well and season with black pepper.
- Place the couscous mixture in a roasting tray and level the surface.
- Arrange the fish fillets on the couscous.
- Cover loosely with a large piece of foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. At this point the fish should be cooked – this depends on the thickness of the fillets.
- To check, the flesh should look opaque and flake easily when poked with a fork.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- Fine grater
Please note: This recipe may contain allergens. It is important to check the ingredients for possible allergens and take necessary precautions.
- Pine nuts
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make sure the dish is completely cool before storing it. To reheat, simply place the haddock fillets and couscous in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Spice-Rubbed Haddock Fillets on Orange-Parsley Couscous
Spice-rubbed haddock fillets on orange-parsley couscous are not only a delicious and filling dish, but also offer several health benefits due to the rich combination of ingredients. Let’s explore some of the nutritional benefits this recipe offers:
Haddock fillets are a great source of high-quality protein, which is essential for repairing and building tissue in the body. Protein helps maintain healthy muscles, supports the immune system and keeps you feeling full and satisfied after a meal.
2. Ras-El-Hanout spice mix
The Ras El Hanout spice blend used in this recipe contains various spices such as cumin, coriander, cinnamon and ginger. These spices not only add flavor but also provide numerous health benefits. Cumin and coriander are rich in antioxidants that help reduce inflammation in the body. Cinnamon is associated with improved blood sugar control and may help lower cholesterol. Ginger has long been used for its anti-inflammatory properties and can aid digestion.
Couscous, a common staple in North African cuisine, is a good source of carbohydrates that provide energy to the body. It is low in fat and contains some fiber, which contributes to a healthy digestive system. Couscous is also rich in B vitamins such as thiamine and niacin, which are important for healthy metabolism and nervous system function.
Oranges are known for their high vitamin C content, which strengthens the immune system and helps protect against common diseases. Vitamin C is also important for tissue growth and repair and supports the absorption of iron from plant sources. Oranges are also a great source of fiber and contain various antioxidants that support overall health.
Parsley, a versatile herb used in this dish, is packed with nutrients. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as potassium and calcium. Parsley contains antioxidants that help protect against chronic diseases and reduce inflammation in the body. Additionally, it is traditionally used to support kidney health and aid digestion.
6. Pine nuts
Pine nuts are a good source of healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to heart health and improved cholesterol levels. They also provide important minerals like magnesium and zinc, which play various roles in the body, including supporting immune function and promoting healthy skin.
Sultanas, dried grapes, give the couscous a touch of natural sweetness. Due to their high sugar content, they are an excellent source of energy. Sultanas also contain fiber, vitamins and minerals such as iron, which helps transport oxygen throughout the body.
By incorporating Seasoned Haddock Fillets on Orange Parsley Couscous into your diet, you can enjoy a flavorful meal while reaping the numerous health benefits of the wholesome and nourishing ingredients.